Can't tell if she's laying or not

l'abeille

Songster
10 Years
Oct 16, 2009
Berkeley, CA
I have 2 BAs that are about 6 months old. Pansy has been laying 1 egg most days for about 2 weeks. Huckleberry seemed to be a few days younger, developmentally--her wattles, reddened comb and egg squat came a few days later than Pansy's. I looked at their vents before laying and after Pansy started and the shape of Pansy's changed as you would expect. But now Huckleberry's vent looks like and egg has passed, but I never see her in the nest and I can't find any eggs hiding anywhere. I'm pretty sure all the eggs we've gotten so far are Pansy's based on seeing her in the nest beforehand and the timing (a little later each day, then a day off, etc).

What could be going on?

My BA did not lay until they were about 30 weeks. The vents looked like they were fine just like you said.... Maybe your one girl is a bit earlier than the others at laying. After one starts the rest will follow... be patient... winter is shorter days also.... so it is possible that more than one is laying an egg every other day or so.....?

I'm still trying to figure this out. I have gotten one smaller egg that has a lighter shell color, so I'm suspicious that Huckleberry may have begun laying. I used and idea from another post and put food coloring on her vent (!). So if she lays an egg it will have a blue shell.

Back
Top Bottom