Can't wait to get involved!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by CluelessKittens, Feb 11, 2019.

1. CluelessKittens

CluelessKittens In the Brooder

Feb 11, 2019
    Hello all, my name is CluelessKittens! I recently bought a house in a medium-sized city where I live with my husband, dog, cat and turtle. I am so excited to finally have an outdoor space where I will be starting a garden this spring and where we will (hopefully) be adding 4-6 chickens.

I have lived with debilitating anxiety and depression my entire life, so I have found that hobbies are difficult for me to maintain. I dabble in many things such as writing, painting, learning various instruments, photography, pottery, coloring, etc. The only things I have ever really stuck with are activities with plants and animals. When I graduated college and moved in with my husband we adopted our dog who is the highlight of my life (sorry boyfriend, but it's true). Two years later we rescued our cat from a friend who could no longer care for her. I noticed my anxiety was considerably more manageable after spending quality time with my fur-babies; taking care of something and receiving love from them has done so much for my mental health, and I truly enjoy every minute of it (even the stinky ones lol).

I started thinking about chickens when I became seriously interested in cooking. I discovered Well Fed by Melissa Joulwan and it literally changed my life and the way I think about creating meals. I don't adhere strictly to the Paleo lifestyle but I have strived to add more plants into my diet, and have become very aware of how little I know about food. Now that we live in a house and have 2,000 sqft of outdoor space, I am determined to grow as much of our own food as we can. Chickens were naturally a part of that plan as they provide eggs, the single most versatile element in the kitchen (in my opinion). A little surprising to me, my husband is just as excited about the idea of keeping backyard chickens as I am! We are planning on building our own coop our of recycled materials found in our home (the people before us left A LOT of construction wood and tools behind) and keeping between 3-6 laying chickens. Breeds we are most interested in keeping are Wyandottes, Black Australorps and Buckeyes, and are intrigued by the idea of also keeping ducks maybe.

I stumbled upon Back Yard Chickens while searching for coop designs and plans. I joined the community here so I have a place to ask questions or get advice because backyard chickens are not a very common thing where I live.

2. Chick-N-Fun

Chick-N-Fun Almy Acres Farm

Jun 26, 2014
    Corning, NY
    Welcome to our FUNomenal community! :celebrate Best wishes and have lots of fun!

3. Brahmachicken240

Brahmachicken240 Crossing the Road

Dec 26, 2018
    Ireland
    Welcome to BYC :frow:welcome
    B769CB21-B76F-4706-AC72-8A4E751C263C.jpeg

4. cleoandtheflock

cleoandtheflock Songster

Jan 16, 2019
    Georgia
    Welcome to the flock
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg AB658F43-6FA9-4CA2-801C-53D6375DE582.jpeg image.jpg 01E35DC7-F205-4E57-9793-FA18B9A1999A.jpeg image.jpg image.jpg

5. BYCforlife

BYCforlife Free Ranging

Mar 18, 2017
    Alberta, Canada
    Welcome to BackYard Chickens! Thanks for joining! :frow

6. Bamabexchicks

Bamabexchicks Crossing the Road

Oct 30, 2018
    East central Alabama
    Hi! Welcome to BYC! I find my chickens bring a good deal of solace and entertainment into our lives. There is something zen-like and comforting to watch them just going about their day.
    This is a great place to learn about them, and to find really knowledge people who will be there to help you when the inevitable emergencies come up!
    welcome-thumbs.gif

7. A_Fowl_Guy

A_Fowl_Guy Wildlife Biologist

May 4, 2014
    Newberry, Indiana
    :yesss: :welcome :yesss:
    Welcome to our eggcelent flock here at BYC

F8A5D144-1AB8-4986-AC1A-C8DC94640879.jpeg

8. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
    I adopted a Paleo diet about a year ago as well and that was what originally prompted me to get chickens. Warning! They are VERY addictive!

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC, and good luck in establishing your flock.

10. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: