Can't win...

swimmer

Songster
9 Years
Aug 17, 2010
Utah
I discovered the other day one or more of my girls is eating the brown eggs. Not the EE's eggs, just the brown ones. We only have 2 birds laying right now. The rest are holding out on us. So I posted on what to do, and a few mentioned to put golf balls in the boxes. I did that and now the EE is laying on them like they are hers. She went nuts when I went to check the nest box for eggs. What a riot!! She makes a great golf ball warmer.

Put her in a cage on the ground with water and not much food for a few days if she just started if shes been that way for a week or so you'll probley have to leave her in for a week.

I read a post about this subject on here and if I remember correctly the post said to take an egg or a few eggs drain the egg and refill it with something nasty that chickens don't like and reseal the egg keeping it intact and put in the nest box till whatever hen is the egg eater tries to eat that egg, the hen will get a nasty surprise and probably stop eating the eggs. I wish I could remember what that post said they put inside the egg, but it might be worth a try. I would probably try dish soap or something nasty...
idunno.gif
duc.gif

I don't think we have any fertile eggs unless a rooster snuck in. None in the area that I know of. I think I'll try the mustard egg tomorrow. I don't think any got eaten today. I didn't see any traces one being eaten. Went out and collected my eggs from the EE's. My brown egg layer wasn't laying every day, so tomorrow I'll be on top of things.

Back
Top Bottom