1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cape Barren geese

Discussion in 'Ornamental Fowl (Swans, etc.)' started by bemba, Nov 6, 2012.

1. bemba

bemba Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Mary Valley QLD.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My Cape Barren geese! First pic of them with their mother (not mine) and 2 other pics of them at my place, they were adopted by my pair of China's!

2. destinduck

destinduck obsessed with "ducks"

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    Thats great .Good on ya! Thats wild about the Chinese taking them in. Thanks for sharing.

3. JJRS

JJRS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    I have blue snow's that like to adopt the giant Canadian's i hatch in the incubator from time to time. Funny to hear the China's doing it.

4. Going Bhonkers

Going Bhonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    SW Florida
    How old are they now? I'm looking forward to you sharing more pictures!! [​IMG]

5. bemba

bemba Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Mary Valley QLD.
    Yeah I was surprised! I got them at about 1 month old, so they were still small. The goose was laying at the time and continued to lay, she never did go broody and I put it down to the fact that they adopted the Capes? Well actually at first the Capes just started following them and as the days went by the female goose became more and more motherly toward them, not long after step dads parental instincts kicked in also. They are such beautiful animals I just love them, but come breeding time for the Capes and look out! (so i've been told) they are far more aggressive than any other goose breed or species and will kill other geese. They are flying now, it's so beautiful to watch them fly.

6. muscovy man14

muscovy man14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2013
    Sulphur,Louisiana
    How are they know I'm thinking about getting a pair could you tell me all you know about them lol

7. tacklouis

tacklouis Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    Belgium
    You are thinking of getting everything you are better getting a pair of yous swans and some ducks and a year later as some new mebers to the family and you can keep those with swans. Swans and geese don't work trust me

8. muscovy man14

Dec 28, 2013
    Sulphur,Louisiana
    I don't plan of getting them this year it'll prob be next year or the year after and the geese will be housed in a completely separate pen because I don't want any blood shed

9. tacklouis

tacklouis Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    Belgium
    How much experience do you have win ducks and geese and swans you are better to get a few pairs look how well it gows then after the breeding season sell the ones you don't like as much or the agresive ones. Get a small pair of geese that are not agresive.

10. muscovy man14

Dec 28, 2013
    Sulphur,Louisiana
    I've been raising ducks geese pheasants peafowl chickens and wood ducks since I was 5

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by