Cape Barren geese

Yes I agree completely maybe I'm a little head over heals but I feel like I'm very capable in raising all these different birds I'm getting btw lol I'm not going to be getting the cape barrens or any of my other stuff this year most likely it will be next I've been talking to a lot of people here and where I live that raise exotic waterfowl if you have any tips I would like to hear them

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=345303

I wrote this a couple years ago. Go threw and read the first 10 pages or so.

I assure you, though you may feel you're ready and or capable, there are some species out there that are only reserved for the pros and long time keepers. Pretty much any that aren't readily available, well theres a reason.

Not putting down the excitement at all, I love seeing it!!.

When I was your age, I had already been keeping migratory waterfowl for a while and had around 90 species. So it can be done, but you need to progress into it with the easier more common species. Despite what you may think, most of these can get very expensive. No need to get them, and loose them to find out you weren't quite ready for that type.

Even the mergansers I've seen you were wanting, I'd highly advise against that. They are one of my favorites too, but do require special care and diets. As for the keeping fish and stuff in your pond for them, unless you have a massive filtration system and maintain it regularly, that will never work. You've kept domestics, so you know how quickly waterfowl can ruin a small pond. Fish couldn't live in it.

I have a large pond here and always just trapped small fish in baskets, along with eels, crawfish and what ever else went in it and would add them in as daily treats. Saw bills, and golden eyes, and especially eiders will eat them all in a matter of minutes.
It is very cool to watch too if you have clear water where you can see the ducks in action.

but that's more of a treat that an main stay diet. Floating fish food is a 100% must for any of these species, and it doesn't hurt to have a good main diet like the Mazuri feeds for them. They aint cheap!!

Now on the other hand, wood ducks and the other more common birds I mentioned in other post, they can get by on just a local store bought layer .

I'll be happy to help you along the way. I've been where you are before, and loved it.

I wish you the best of luck with it all too. But don't get too over anxious and listen to what MOST people on here say. They are speaking from experience. Some of the comments I have seen will turn people off to even wanting to reply to you.

So remember, youre young and learning. But be willing to listen! It'll go a long way for you I think

Yea I can see know I got over anxious this fall I just stick to a few easy to raise breeds like you said and maybe a free about two years or so I'll start with the hoodies and other birds etc. Thx btw! You really just helped a lot!

I would wait with hooded. Breed with your mandarins first and maybe some other ducks that are easier even if you have experience you will be better with out.

No not at all I don't even have a pond yet lol like I said and what bbb said I'm just going to stick to all the easy to raise breeds like red heads wood ducks and some teal I will prob wait on the swans that we talked about to

Back
Top Bottom