Caponizing a roo

Pics
Why is it considered dangerous or could be fatal? So many other male animals are castrated.

Why do they need to come to my home/farm?

Birds cannot be easily or safely sedated like mammals so the procedure is traditionally done with the bird completely awake. Unlike mammals their testes are deep inside the body close to major blood vessels. This post shows what it takes to do it: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/graphic-pics-of-my-day-learning-to-caponize.675898/

Good luck finding a vet that can do this - there's very few that work on chickens, period.

@rosemarythyme is spot on.
I'll ask why do you want to caponize your cockerel?
It's really only done to birds that are meant to be eaten.

Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 2350109
aart, I often use your example of how too list the location in the profile.
I understand some peeps might be afraid to do so. But, listing even a state gives everyone a better idea to be able to help more.
I hope you don't mind if I use your "How to list your location" example.
Thanks, Vicki

Does anyone happen to know a vet that will caponize (Castrate) a rooster? I tried one but they dont. Any suggestions??
I live in Denver and know an excellent vet in Ft. Collins. My cockerel had been damaged previously and didn't survive the surgery, but the vet was wonderful and up front about his chances. PM me for a contact.
Does anyone happen to know a vet that will caponize (Castrate) a rooster? I tried one but they dont. Any suggestions??

Facts please. Thanks, but you’ve already stated your opinion earlier.
Facts please. Thanks, but you’ve already stated your opinion earlier.
Ouch!
If your going to be rude, go somewhere else.
The Oddoneout can have another factual opinion that differs from yours.
You need to be nicer.
This is BYC, not some nasty debate contest.

The VAST majority of WHICH male animals?

Yes, many male animals are castrated. But those particular males have their man berries OUTSIDE their body cavity and the surgery to remove said berries is relatively straight forward and performed probably hundreds of times by a vet. To caponize a cockerel requires body cavity penetration and is not something that is routinely taught to veterinary students as it is no longer a highly sought after procedure. Hence, much higher risk of death due to the procedure.
You are right, of course. In my case, the city doesn't allow crowing, so the young cockerel in whom I've invested 3 months of time/energy/money either hits the road or stays - minus his testes, IF he survives the surgery. It's a tough decision, but he's beautiful and worth the effort. So I hope.

You are right, of course. In my case, the city doesn't allow crowing, so the young cockerel in whom I've invested 3 months of time/energy/money either hits the road or stays - minus his testes, IF he survives the surgery. It's a tough decision, but he's beautiful and worth the effort. So I hope.
Please send us a picture of your wonderful Cockerel.
We love pictures.

Birds cannot be easily or safely sedated like mammals so the procedure is traditionally done with the bird completely awake. Unlike mammals their testes are deep inside the body close to major blood vessels. This post shows what it takes to do it: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/graphic-pics-of-my-day-learning-to-caponize.675898/

Good luck finding a vet that can do this - there's very few that work on chickens, period.
Thank you. After reading the thread and your reply I am not going to do that. The disruption and stress he causes is so depressing. I cannot have any more chickens where I live. Wouldn't happen to have a liquid medication to lower the testosterone like they do for humans? He so large that my brahma won't attack him unless he gets near his hen. I brought my terrorized hen inside. She will most likely be a house pet. He really tries to mate her and he is malicious about it.
He tries to mate both my male and female duck. I can't allow my frightened hen or ducks loose with him.

When starting up and wanting to hatch our own I read up studied the procedure and performed about a dozen caponizations. from first to last all my patients lived. a couple were still roos because I erred on the side of caution and was having trouble locating second gonad. and went ahead and closed up rather than prolonging the birds distress and immobilized state. That said I don't do it now because we routinely cull excess roos and usually before caponization would have provided the meat benefits you usually hope to gain.

That said it was a home procedure I did find by accident a avian surgery clinic in st louis yesterday. But unless for a pet I'm sure it is too expensive for meat birds. And when we want freezer birds we just get some cornish cross's.

But given my low experience and high success rate I feel your professionally caponized roo stands a very very high chance of success.

Back
Top Bottom