Caponizing a roo

Is that if he makes it off the operating table?

Plenty of opinions flying around about this.

LOL. The VAST majority make it through the procedure.

Oh, you can have an opinion, but you might want to learn the *facts* about capons and why there is such a thing. In addition, it may help you to understand why animals, in general, are castrated or neutered as well.

LOL. The VAST majority make it through the procedure.

Oh, you can have an opinion, but you might want to learn the *facts* about capons and why there is such a thing. In addition, it may help you to understand why animals, in general, are castrated or neutered as well.
The VAST majority of WHICH male animals?

Yes, many male animals are castrated. But those particular males have their man berries OUTSIDE their body cavity and the surgery to remove said berries is relatively straight forward and performed probably hundreds of times by a vet. To caponize a cockerel requires body cavity penetration and is not something that is routinely taught to veterinary students as it is no longer a highly sought after procedure. Hence, much higher risk of death due to the procedure.

sure. And yet, thousands are done, and live. It is certainly more common in other countries.

since it’s “uncommon” why the worry @aart and @DobieLover??
I guess because we care more about the bird than the OPs desire to caponize their cockerel. It's not in the best interest of the bird, just the OP. The bird will likely die.

I guess because we care more about the bird than the OPs desire to caponize their cockerel. It's not in the best interest of the bird, just the OP. The bird will likely die.

purely an assumption. It would also be an assumption on my part to say it will likely live. No one, so far, in the history of the human race has found a crystal ball that worked. However, odds are that it lives.

as for “caring more” about the bird.... quite the assumption, as well. Many care about the birds, will caponize so the birds lives.

purely an assumption. It would also be an assumption on my part to say it will likely live. No one, so far, in the history of the human race has found a crystal ball that worked. However, odds are that it lives.

as for “caring more” about the bird.... quite the assumption, as well. Many care about the birds, will caponize so the birds lives.
I did not write that I cared more about the bird than the OP did.
I wrote I cared more about the bird than the OPs desire to caponize it. Big difference.
It's time to move on now.
This is one of those black and white topics that elicit dispute and that is counter productive. The OP has both sides of the argument now and will make a decision on whether or not to pursue this surgery. No need to further debate as I will not change my opinion and you will not change yours.

Last edited:
Does anyone happen to know a vet that will caponize (Castrate) a rooster? I tried one but they dont. Any suggestions??

Very few vets treat chickens, and even the ones that do treat chickens are unlikely to caponize one.

If you really think you want your cockerel caponized, I suggest you get a list of every vet within driving distance, and start calling them on the phone. Ask first if they treat chickens, because most will just say no. If they say yes, then you can ask if they will caponize a cockerel.

If you find a vet that will do it--talk to that vet about how risky it is, then decide whether to have it done.

If you cannot find a vet to do the operation, then you will have to make a different decision for your cockerel.

So I’m just throwing out things for consideration.
From what I understand, caponizing is better at a younger age, because the testicles are more friable as an adult, meaning they break apart very easily. Apparently if a bit of tissue is left behind in an adult, a testicle might grow back. If the rooster has already learned crowing, caponizing might not help. There is a big learning curve Even finding the testicles, so should be done by a vet with good experience (or practice on a dead bird). As with any surgery, hemorrhages can occur and there is major vessels near the testicle, again leading back to vet experience. Chickens can be maintained on fluids during the procedure to minimize risk. Special tools are ideal to use working in small spaces. There are pain meds for chickens while they heal. As with all creatures who have been spayed or neutered, they tend to gain weight more easily. As with any surgery going into the body cavity, the surgical risk is always higher.

It seems to me that the surgical risk is tied to lack of experience and learning. A cat or dog spay is no less risky but is done millions of times by vets who have the procedure down pat, extensive research, and proper tools. I wonder if there was a wide call for neutering roosters and it became more than a ‘strange’ request by occasional chicken people for pets, that the procedure would overall be safer, because it would then be taught, standardized, and such?

IMO, I think it would be great if you could take a pet rooster to the vet and get him neutered, Like your pet cat and dog. Animals do not have the same attachment to their ‘junk’ like humans do. But it seems we aren’t their yet. Also to point out, I am not against caponizing for meat or home procedures. I wouldn’t do it myself, and I wish there was a way to give the birds some sort of analgesic or sedative, but that’s not the reality unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom