Car vs Rooster!!! Can he be saved???

ya.gif
Yay!! He's a labor of love. You did good!!

Wow. Never in a million years would I have expected to see that beak on that rooster. Lucky, you're one lucky rooster to have landed with OrphanNanny! Now if you could just pay a visit to my coop and teach my young roos better manners around the young ladies...
I can't wait to see what the chicks will look like. They've got one handsome papa!

If I come back after I die, I want to live with and be loved by OrphanNanny! You have a lovely chicken hilton and everyone looks so amicable and happy.

For what it's worth, I think Lucky looks like an older bird. I'm certainly no expert, but the long hackles on his neck and the gnarly feet and legs likely indicate a long life. Does the Old English Game have gnarly feet and legs? My giant Cochin that I was give is a dude in his prime and his feet are UGLY! The gal who gave him and two companion hens to me had a haven of very well-taken-care-of chickens under ideal conditions so I know they had good care.

It will be fascinating to see what his tail feathers look like when his next molt is concluded!

Happy New Year, Lucky!

I agree that he has quite some time under his belt ;) I treated for scaly legs mites both internally and externally and have not really noticed any difference, so I think gnarly legs are just his showing his age. When I first found him he must have just been coming out of a molt, because I saw hundreds of new feathers growing and I'm noticing now that all of his missing tail feathers from "that day" are about 3-4 inches long....he's going to be one super STUD muffin!!!
love.gif

So wonderful to hear that he is still doing well! I wonder how old he really is? What is your estimation OrphanNanny?
You must keep us updated on his chicks!

I certainly WILL keep you updated and especially when there'll be Lucky offspring to show! :)

I was just trying to find out how to guage the age of a roo by their spur length and didn't get anything definite, but with the one spur being about an inch long, I'd guess he's over 2 yrs for sure and with how thick and rough his legs are I don't think guessing over 3 would even be too outrageous. Another thing I read, you can tell a "mature" rooster from a cockerel because he won't be chasing the girls all over the place, more of a laid back kind of mating approach...lol

Last edited:
It's 3 months tomorrow since I found Lucky and he's just doing awesome!!! No limp detected unless it's REALLY cold...but he's holding his own, gots himself some girlfriends ;) and in a month or two I'll be using my new incubator to hatch out some Lucky offspring <3

Your whole flock is beautiful and it looks like the girls are completely content having him in their midst. Can't wait to see what the babies will look like. I hope you get a couple of naked necks in the bunch!! I love naked necks!
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom