Caramel and Red Candy Apples??

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by redhen, Sep 19, 2011.

1. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I'd like to make some candy apples for my foster sons football team. I'm looking for any ideas and a good caramel apple dipping recipe...
    By ideas, i mean: Caramel apples rolled in peanuts?... or tiny choc chips?... or... what else??
    Also, i'm making the red candy apples too... what are some tasty ingredients to "roll" them in too??
    And does Walmart sell popsicle sticks to use?? [​IMG]
    Thanks for any help!

2. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    My only issue with candied apples is that they are often made with inferior apples. Large apples look the best, but they are very difficult to eat. I don't think tart apples are suitable.

I always figure that they are actually made for looks because raw apple and caramel or hard crack candy isn't one of those stunning flavor combinations. I guess it is one way to get kids to eat a little bit of fruit. On the negative side, if they aren't eaten within a day or two, all that work and expense goes to waste.

Caramel and apple and finely chopped pecans are a good combination. Or maybe walnuts. Peanuts would be for looks, I'd think.

When I see them rolled in anything, it is always just the base that has been rolled. Looks nice, harder to eat.

I've seen then rolled in chopped nuts and colored sprinkles. Maybe those little tiny M&M's made for baking. Coconut? Maybe colored coconut in the team's colors?

3. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Also, I don't make candied apples because I don't like them. But if I had a request for them, I would try coring them just before dipping them, so the candy covers the cut surface so it won't brown. It would make them 1000 times easier to eat.

Trying to think of anything that could be dipped that would taste better than raw apple and the only thing I can think of is marshmallow.

Decoration, you could wind those thin licorice strings around them. The red ones, not the black ones for a design.

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Oh heck, what CAN'T you mix with caramel? Marshmallows, mini chocolate chips, crushed up heath bars, nuts (assuming no allergies), coconut - the possibilities are endless!

I've found the popsicle sticks in the caramels bags. Especially now, when the Halloween stuff is out.

5. Cpprpnny19

Cpprpnny19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    Middleboro
    Try chocolate apples..................yum! much easier and you can
    roll them in nuts too!

Lynne [​IMG]

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Red candy apples? [​IMG]

I'll help-

Eat them. [​IMG]

7. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:OOh good idea about the team colors!! (green and white) [​IMG]
    Thanks!

8. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:[​IMG]

9. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:Thanks! I'll look for the bags of caramels... [​IMG]

10. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:I'd LOVE to do chocolate ones, but EVERY time i have tried melting chocolate it seizes up on me. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by