Caramel from a Can?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by MrsCountryChick, Jun 27, 2008.

1. MrsCountryChick

MrsCountryChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    PA
    I read a recipe that was for Caramel by using sweetened condensed milk in a can. They said to boil the can in a pot of water for 3hrs (UNopened can & label cut off), with the boiling water covering the can. & after cooling open the can & it'll be a brown color delicious caramel. Anyone ever heard of this? Would this be runny caramel like to drizzle over a cheesecake or would this be formable to put in a pan to cool & cut to make candy from?

2. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    YES!! My mom makes a caramel banana pie using that method. [​IMG] It is sooooo delicious! It's easy peasy and less mess. [​IMG] It will be runny though, with the pie if you chill it it will set but once it gets warm again it will be runny.

3. Alaska animal lover

Alaska animal lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    Palmer, Alaska
    Oh Yeahhhhh, yummy!
    Just be careful, when you open the can, the caramel is very hot!

4. FloridaChickenChick

FloridaChickenChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Lake County, Florida
    My understanding is that it's VERY dangerous to make caramel this way. I have a recipe that works but can't put my fingers on it right this second...will post over the weekend.

5. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    i knew I had seen Paula Deen do this but I couldnt remember how....she does it in the oven

Banoffee Pie Recipe courtesy Paula Deen
    Show: Paula's Home Cooking
    Episode: English Pub Fare

1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
    10 tablespoons butter, softened
    2 (14-ounce) cans sweetened condensed milk
    3 large bananas
    1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
    1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
    Mix graham cracker crumbs with softened butter and press mixture into 9-inch pie plate. Bake for 5 to 8 minutes.

Lower the oven to 300 degrees F for the toffee filling.

To create toffee filling, caramelize the sweetened condensed milk. Pour the condensed milk into a 9 by 12 by 2-inch glass baking dish. Cover with foil and place dish inside a larger poaching pan. Add water to poaching pan until half way up sides of baking dish. Bake for 1 1/2 hours.

Once both the crust and toffee filling are cooled, spread half of the filling evenly inside crust. Slice the bananas and layer on top of filling. Pour remaining half of filling over bananas, spreading evenly. Whip the cream with the confectioners' sugar and vanilla and spread on top of toffee filling and bananas.

6. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG] now I want some - My mom used to make it "boiling in the can" method when we were kids....... YUM!

7. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
  8. MrsCountryChick

MrsCountryChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    PA
    Wow Thanks [​IMG] You guys have Wonderful Recipes & Ideas here. How did I ever live without visiting here? [​IMG]

Edited cuz I can't spell [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  9. kwynn's birds Alaska

kwynn's birds Alaska Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2008
    Kenai, Alaska
    exactly what my aunt said to do, it works, and it's very good too, just keep the can covered and let it boil for 3 or so hours. try it!

10. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    It's called "Dulce de leche" ("candy from milk").

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by