Cardboard Box?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your little silkie needs to have proper food. Go to your dad. Tell him that Corn cannot be healthy on the food that you are giving him any more than you could be on chocolate alone. If Corn does not receive the proper nutrition at this vital stage in his/her life, it's growth could be stunted and it may die young. You need to go to the feed store and buy chick crumbs. When Corn gets to 6 or 8 weeks old get grower pellets and at about 20 weeks, get layers pellets.

Do you have any idea what Corn's sibling died of?

Poor thing.
sad.png

Knowledge is power. Please read up on chickens so it can have a proper and healthy life.

My dad doesn't handle those kind of things. Corns already like 6 or 7 months old. This is our theory on how Pepper (other chicken) died: My dad gives the ants in our garage some ant food so it can kill them all easily. Like, first it slows the ants down, then they die. So this ant food can make a human sick if eaten. He told us that Corn + Pepper could eat the ants, and he had already given the ants the ant food. So because Pepper ate the ants, we think that's what killed him. We think that Corn didn't eat a lot of ants, or is just tougher than Pepper was. Anyways, that's the theory.
I tryed the mirror idea. He just kept to like, ignore it. And sorta seemed like he was afraid of it or something. I tryed this for a day or 2. So next I put a small stuffed bear in the box. He just acted like the same way, except less interested in it. Do you think Corn has gone used to being alone, or he doesn't care, or he knows it's not real or something. Do you think he'd act that way if we bought a real chicken to put in with him? I really don't have a clue!
sad.png
Corn has seemed to be energy drained. He isn't very active any more. I put him outside, and he just stands there, not doing much. I bring him in and put him on the floor, and he just stands there. In his box, he just stands there. He doesn't eat that much anymore either. He will eat a little though. What could be wrong with him? One day he was fine, and the next he just is motionless. And he no longer follows + runs towards me when I walk by him. What's wrong?? :'(

he sounds sick, or depressed....

You reallyy got to get her some proper food, and QUICK also it could be being in a dark place...with no one to talk to. I don't mean to be harsh, but honestly this chicken needs help.

If you cannot provide this chicken with a proper diet, and/ or environment I suggest giving it to someone who can. I know you don't mean to do this to ur chicken, I am not BLAMING you I'm just telling you that the chicken probably isn't very happy living alone in a box. You wouldn't like that would you? ...i know I wouldnt.

My suggestion is that you get it a friend, and quick! I have had many birds die of depression after its complanion dying..its very hard to keep them happy.

also, I sugest giving it an outdoor run that is predator FREE to keep it happy..and then sleeping in the box would be fine.

also, it needs more nutrition, as it is now...it wont live long.

sorry for sounding harsh, please don't take this the wrong way..I am just trying to help.
smile.png

What does it mean when one of Corn's toes are curved inward? And should I clip Corn's nails? Do they get really long?

Buddy...that is a sign that he is not getting the right feed!!! Several members here have been telling you this...a birds health is completely and utterly dependent on the DAILY feed it gets. It needs to have feed to eat from ALL the time...it is not like a dog or cat where you only set its feed out once a day or so. Do you have some human oatmeal in the house? Mix some of that in with the rice too and pleasee try and explain to your parents about the feed... Your bird also needs SUNLIGHT...this is where it gets some of its vitamin D from. I know you are very dependent upon your parents but your bird needs LIGHT ... this is very important...even if it is only the light bulb.
Have you ever heard of the 4-H club? They have special clubs for kids with chickens! Perhaps you can ask your mom or teacher about finding out if there is a club near you!. I do not want to alarm you but your bird is showing signs that it is becoming ill (probably from not the right feed) and this is making it weak and not having any energy. I bet your mom has some childrens vitamins in the house...if it is the liquid kind (a very famous one is called POLYVISOL) then give a few drops of that into your chickens feed or even its beak if it does not want to eat....and most of all...get some proper chicken feed. Let us know how you do!

Last edited:
Great advice, everyone.
Buddy, something else you might want to consider if you are not able to care for the silkie properly is to find someone from here at BYC in your area to take the bird in. I would hate to see a nice bird like that be ill because you can't get your parents to help you feed it properly.
I know your heart is in the right place, but maybe it is time to wait to have chickens til you have better resources.
smile.png

also the toe nails may be turning in because of the lack of ground to stratch in..it happends to all animals..if a chicken doesn't ahve proper ground to stratch in..the nails wont wear down..and will curl in.

Normally a chicken will have dirt and gravel...this wears down the nails..

please try to explain to ur parents about the food, it's veryy important.

Could I try clipping his nails? I'm trying to presude my mom.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom