Caring for a brooding wild duck?

Looks like she should start sitting any time now.

I don't know where you are, but in most of the US and Europe, it is getting really late in the season for ducklings.

I am in Houston TX. We have just had a run of cooler weather in the last couple of weeks (85-95 deg daily), so I am wondering if that triggered it maybe?

We had ducklings late this year, too, but only a few survived. Our weather has been really screwy the last couple of months with mostly hot days with a few cool days. We've never had ducklings in October here, though. The earliest we have them is late February. They're supposed to start/end laying based on the length of day.

Okay, so, I am not sure if anyone is still following this thread, but we have a new development.

As of my last post, the momma duck had laid 15 eggs and not been back to the nest in a few days. I assumed she had finished laying and was preparing to brood. Sure enough a few days later we see her sitting on the nest in the morning, but she only seems to sit there for a few hours. I don't know how long exactly but she would be sitting there when we woke up about 6am and appeared to be gone by about 11am.

In all honesty I was expecting her to brood for more hours each day, but figured that she knows what she is doing....

Of course during this time we actually go out into the backyard as little as possible (we can see the top of her head from our window when she is brooding, we don't need to go outside to see her there).

My wife went out there this morning to look at the nest and there were 32 eggs!!!

I have no idea if she is still laying (if so, why did she appear to be brooding?) or if another duck is using the same nest, or what? Any thoughts?

What I can tell you is that for the first several days where we saw her brooding, I went out to visually inspect the nest in the afternoon when the momma wasn't there and there were no new eggs (still only 15) so if she did lay the extra, she laid 15, brooded for a few hours over a few days, then started laying again.

I have no idea what is going on...

My wife is a teacher and can get access to an incubator. Is it worth bring the eggs inside? If so, can we re-introduce them to the mother at some point? If so when?

Thank you

That's weird. I have no idea what happened other than someone miscounted.

I wouldn't bring any of the eggs inside unless something happens to the mom. I have a feeling they might not hatch. But, I observed a mallard nest one time and the mom was only there mostly at night and hardly ever there during the day.

That's weird. I have no idea what happened other than someone miscounted.

I wouldn't bring any of the eggs inside unless something happens to the mom. I have a feeling they might not hatch. But, I observed a mallard nest one time and the mom was only there mostly at night and hardly ever there during the day.
Hmmm, okay. Is this is a thing that is different by breed do you think?

I don't know the breed of these ducks but I am in Houston, TX and they are mottled white and brown, if that helps... this is the best picture I have managed to take of her, just of her butt! Not sure if this will help any....

Can't tell for 100% certain, but she and the eggs look mallard from what I can see of the photo. I really can't answer the other question as I have only observed a few wild mallards. I know when it gets closer to hatching time, they spend a lot more time sitting on the nest.

If they are going to hatch, it should be very soon, like in a week or so.

Last edited:
Okay, so, I am not sure if anyone is still following this thread, but we have a new development.

As of my last post, the momma duck had laid 15 eggs and not been back to the nest in a few days. I assumed she had finished laying and was preparing to brood. Sure enough a few days later we see her sitting on the nest in the morning, but she only seems to sit there for a few hours. I don't know how long exactly but she would be sitting there when we woke up about 6am and appeared to be gone by about 11am.

In all honesty I was expecting her to brood for more hours each day, but figured that she knows what she is doing....

Of course during this time we actually go out into the backyard as little as possible (we can see the top of her head from our window when she is brooding, we don't need to go outside to see her there).

My wife went out there this morning to look at the nest and there were 32 eggs!!!

I have no idea if she is still laying (if so, why did she appear to be brooding?) or if another duck is using the same nest, or what? Any thoughts?

What I can tell you is that for the first several days where we saw her brooding, I went out to visually inspect the nest in the afternoon when the momma wasn't there and there were no new eggs (still only 15) so if she did lay the extra, she laid 15, brooded for a few hours over a few days, then started laying again.

I have no idea what is going on...

My wife is a teacher and can get access to an incubator. Is it worth bring the eggs inside? If so, can we re-introduce them to the mother at some point? If so when?

Thank you
If there are 32 eggs in the nest, I am thinking this is being used by another mallard also. Then again maybe she is trying for the Genis Book of records [spelled wrong of course].

Back
Top Bottom