Caring for a Paralized Chicken, Maybe a Wheelchair?(She's Walking!!!!)

Quote:
X10

Why cull the bird...SHE IS NOT SICK! I would put her in the house, give her a few good weeks of TLC and see if she pulls through it.

Quote:
X10

Why cull the bird...SHE IS NOT SICK! I would put her in the house, give her a few good weeks of TLC and see if she pulls through it.

x2

sometimes they pull through- you just give them the time they need

There is a thread for "special needs chickens", and a few have made little carts for them.
I, too, have a bird that needs a cart right now.
On a lighter note, I rescued a squirrel a few years back. Fell out of a tree, and couldn't move his hind legs.
Everyone wanted to "put it out of its misery".
It was only a spinal BRUISE, and after a few weeks, he was back to normal.
Give it time, it may come around. JMO

Quote:
X10

And after a few weeks then what ???. I just think in these situations folks need to really think of how much work it will take and the extra time, many times people are unprepared for this and become overwhelmed with the extreme effort. Now if the Op can pull it off great !!! my view is having a crippled house chicken does what for the chickens quality of life, sure it will make the OP feel better and all noble but what of the bird. I think being humane takes many forms, here on the farm we do care for injured and sick animals often but the decision is made right away as to their condition, their value and chances of not only survival but quality of life for the animal and the owner as well. Lame or crippled animals can hinder day to day care of other aniamls that can make the cut. There is nothing cruel in the thinking of the survival of the fittest, situations of the owners varies and yes there will be more housing of crippled for life animals in the urban lifestyle where they are viewed as pet's which is fine. But just do it for the right reasons and that should be your choice to make.

Quote:
Maybe "their value" is a strong factor here? I am new to chickens, I have to admit, but this would be the last factor to take into consideration. They are ALL equally "valuable" and dear to me, whether they eat out of my hand or not. Sure I have my favourites (with whom in turn I'm a favourite, as it goes both ways really and most often begins on their side), but when it comes to treatment, I try my best not to discriminate and do what can be done for everyone, "valuable" or not. Cos I wouldn't want anyone to judge on how "valuable" or amiable I am when I need help.

If the original poster is prepared and willing to undertake caring for this animal, I'd say go for it. There are always risks in life and it might not work, but at least you'll know you've done your best and didn't just discard someone who needed your help. Sorry I can't give any advice but I appreciate your desire to help.

Today she moved her Right Leg!!!! She still can't walk, but she can move one of her legs.

I think of all of my animals as people. There are Humans that can't walk and some would say that they have a lessened quality of life, but you would never say to just kill them! Since she is as equal as a human to me I will not be so quick to kill her. If she wants to live, then who am I to just wring her neck?

Who says she is Suffering or In Misery? Just because you can't walk, doesn't mean you are suffering.

Quote:
Because she isn't a human, she is an animal. Don't get me wrong, I am one of those folks who takes their animals to a vet, be it my dog, horse or chicken, I saved a field mouse and have her as a pet but there is a very fine line on even what I will do and while I love my animals greatly, I DO NOT consider them human nor my babies or kids (they have or had mothers), and I am a good steward for them and care for them well. When you start to consider them on a human level or that they are "little humans" then you can unintentionally cause more harm than good and let an animal suffer because you cannot separate your feelings or treat them as you should.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom