Caring for a Paralized Chicken, Maybe a Wheelchair?(She's Walking!!!!)

Sumatra503

Kozy Orchard Farms
10 Years
Sep 24, 2010
I have a young bantam pullet who has become paralyzed in her legs. She is doing very well otherwise and eats, drinks, and sits up if I fold her legs beneath her. I have her in a nicely built sling to keep her upright and she doesn't seem to be in pain.

Do any of you have any ideas for her care? I was thinking I could make her a sort of wheelchair or something to keep her upright while she pecks around in the grass. I want her to live a good life and since she hasn't given up on living I won't give up on her by killing her.

Since there are so many people in the world who are paralyzed and must be cared for, but live otherwise productive lives, I feel that this little pullet can live a productive life, too.

Last edited:
I hate to say it but I'd probably put her down. How did she become paralyzed? Was it an injury or attack or did it just happen? If it just happened, it could be a symptom of a far more serious issue.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

One day I walked out and she just simply couldn't walk. She was laying in the yard on her side and couldn't pick herself up. This was after the nieghbor's dog was chasing the chickens around, so perhaps she was injured in her panic. Dad said he heard a chicken fly into the window, perhaps this was what happened.

She is showing no other symptoms and her wings work fine. She has no problem eating, drinking, or pooping and is always bright eyed and makes happy clucks when I walk into the room.

It's definitely not Mareks, I have had experience with this and it is not what this bird has. Her syptoms didn't slowly progress as it does with mareks. She just suddenly couldn't walk.

Awww poor girl,.....
I also have a hard time culling a hurt chickie that has a desire to still live. I have a Rooster that was crippled as a 2 or 3 week old, when they are doing thrugh the fly at each other jump on each other stage, he gets around but he wattles, That's his name by the way Wattles...... He's a beautiful GLW with no tail, it never grew....... my other ones did, but not him maybe because of the nerve damage?? don;t know but he is my yard chicken, he has his own dog igloo and is loose by my garden, he eats and drinks good, gets around ok, for awhile he was having seizures too but I think it was because the other chicks were picking at him all the time and he was hiding out in the kennel and not eating, since he's been alone on his own he hasn't had one that I have seen.
Now I have another dilemma though because winter will soon be here and it gets way to cold here for him to be alone in a dog kennel outside, so now I have to think of where he will spend the winter.......

Back
Top Bottom