Caring for a Paralized Chicken, Maybe a Wheelchair?(She's Walking!!!!)

I would say try to help her. Our goose was attacked by a dog and could not walk, we did take her to an avian dr. who xrayed her and told us her organs were bruised and her hip bones were chipped. He said she seemed to have a will to live so to help her we gave her warm baths for awhile then borrowed a stock tank from a neighbor. The vet said to set her in the tank so their would be no weight on her legs and prescribed her something for pain. We were to gently pull her legs in a bycycle type excercise a few times a day. She was completely unable to walk. This went on for almost 5 months. We carried her out of the pen and put her on the lawn with access to food and water then back to her pen at night. the medicene was only for a couple weeks. We had winter coming on and were faced with the idea we should cull her. I walked outside the first snow and saw 1 foot then the other she took a few steps and fell. Needless to say Lucy is still with us it was three years ago. Desi our gander was beside himself when she was hurt and we were worried about him as well. She does not lay eggs anymore, probably because of the internal damage, but thats OK. she also will walk with a limp now and then. but am glad I was able to find a vet. I am thank full for my husbands work with her each day as I work outside the home and he is retired, and Lucys will, she did not want to leave her Desi or her life. Look up avian vets or animal rehabilatators. They were the one who told us about a vet. I know a tank of water is not in order for a chicken but who knows a little therapy may be possible for a chicken with a will to live. Good luck and give her a snuggle for me.

Quote:
Because she isn't a human, she is an animal. Don't get me wrong, I am one of those folks who takes their animals to a vet, be it my dog, horse or chicken, I saved a field mouse and have her as a pet but there is a very fine line on even what I will do and while I love my animals greatly, I DO NOT consider them human nor my babies or kids (they have or had mothers), and I am a good steward for them and care for them well. When you start to consider them on a human level or that they are "little humans" then you can unintentionally cause more harm than good and let an animal suffer because you cannot separate your feelings or treat them as you should.

When I say I treat them as humans I mean that I give them the respect and compassion I would give to human. I understand that they are not my "Children", but I do consider them to have equal rights to live. I cannot bring my self to be humbled into the "They're just animals" mentality.

Who's there to say that animals don't have the ability to live with a disability? People just don't give animals enough credit within the world. There are plenty of paraplegic people in the world, so naturally there are paraplegic animals within the world as well.

I feel that animals deserve the same amount of respect that we humans receive. As long as she is not screaming in agony or just lying there dying I think it is safe to assume that she wants to live and is not suffering to immensely. She is in all ways normal, she just has a disability. See past her legs and you will see a normal chicken, just as you would look at a human in a wheelchair.

When you say that I should learn to treat her as I should, does that mean that to you her life has less value to you? What a terrible way of thinking.

No, an animals life is not of less value to me. I am a realist. I just got done today having my large animal vet look over one of my hen's and after evaluating her, we both came to the educated decision based on what was before me to euthanize her. Could I have brought her home and fed her and slowly watched her starve to death? Sure I could. Do I have the know how and the time and space to take care of an injured animal? Absolutely. However, I WILL NOT let an animal suffer because I can't look at the big picture and see that unless they have 100% good quality of life then I am not going to keep them around and watch them slowly fade. I am also going to have a necropsy done as for me, we may be dealing with Marek's Disease and I may loose my whole flock. So tell me, as I watch each one slowly starve to death, though they try to eat as much as they can, should I keep them as well if this happens???

As someone else said, how is this hen going to get around? How is she going to eat and drink? Will you clean her vent and feathers off each and every day to ensure that her feces doesn't cause blistering, sore and/or tender skin? Will you put medication on her each and every day?

And as an FYI, I am an EMT and was a clinical technician in the hospital working with nurses, so please, don't assume to think I have no compassion for my species, quite the opposite.

if you work with her, possibly choose a very docile hen for her to have a friend and give them their own run and coop, or a house chicken- she will need to be watched over and make sure she is eating, drinking and pooping- she could also heal given time and care

jewel- came to me paralyzed after a dog attack, she would lean against the couch to eat-
IMG_6618.jpg

jewel3.jpg

IMG_6904.jpg

IMG_6902.jpg

and today
file.jpg

massaging the legs helps keep them limber

hi, I have just posted about one of my hens regarding paralysis and then started browsing the forum and found this posting. artsyrobin - your post has given me hope as while I am not ready to give up on her yet I am aware of her quality of life. OP - how is your chicken doing now?

Today she is doing the same as yesterday, though her right leg is a bit more movable. She is on hypericum to help with any pain and to aid in the repair of any swollen muscles or nerves. I have her on physical therapy and she gets a warm bath each day to help with circulation and to clean her vent. She still has a happy disposition and is living well and within her means.

I have seen some chicken carts where the bird flaps its wings to move the cart around. She is not in with the other chickens when I let her out to eat grass and get some sun. I do bring over one of the other hens to talk to her while she is out. The other hen doesn't seem to treat her differently than she treats the other chickens in the flock. When supported she pecks and tries to scratch with her right leg. She is doing much better than she was the day she was injured and I doubt that she will just fade away and starve to death slowly. I am giving her proper care and she is eating and drinking.

I do understand that she will not have a 100% perfect life, but perhaps that doesn't matter. I'm certainly glad that doctors don't share the ideals of most veterinarians and don't just euthanize people who won't have a 100% quality life. To me, that's the same idea, since I believe that all beings are equal and that humans are not above animals. After all we are called Homo sapiens and are classified in the kingdom Animalia along with animals.

Quote:
keep going in that direction, it will take time, diet will help too, suplimenting her diet- what is her normal diet? took jewel quite some time, and like with all living things she will fight to recover-

I noticed in your original post you clearly stated that you did not want to euthanize her at this point and were asking for advice on how to best help her... Yet many people still felt the need to insist on what "they" would do, and then proceed to argue with you about it. I'm not sure what the purpose of that is.

Bravo to you for doing what you feel is right. You are the one dealing with her and you will know when the time comes to let her go, either to the rainbow bridge because she is suffering too much or to the green grass in a cart you built for her. Or maybe even on her own legs that you helped to heal.

Good luck to you and your lucky little bird.
love.gif

You are doing what *I* would do if I had the time, energy and will to work with a paralyzed chicken. I would WANT to be able to do that, but not sure I am good with the follow-through. I commend you for your dedication, no sarcasm or anything but positive vibes going in your direction.

I wouldn't give her a wheel chair but I would definitely try a few remedies for a couple weeks before deciding to euthanize her or not. So many animals are incredibly strong and I find chickens heal remarkably well, they just need time. Try a few things like massaging the legs, giving her a warm bath and letting her float a little with your help, lots of good food and calcium to strengthen her bones and see where that takes you! I had two terribly gouged hens from my rooster, they had huge gaping wounds that I didn't notice because they are so fluffy and good at hiding it. Then one day I saw them in the rain and they were cut to pieces. I brought them inside for two weeks until their wounds closed. I could have ended their suffering very quickly but now they look like brand new chickens and are perfectly happy! Give her a chance and see what she can do.

Back
Top Bottom