Caring for a Paralized Chicken, Maybe a Wheelchair?(She's Walking!!!!)

I compliment you on your preserverance and compassion. It is clear that your chicken is not suffering and that you are not abusing her. Too many people are too free with that accusation. It cheapens the actual abuse when it does happen, and makes people less likely to act upon a real abuse situation that needs immediate resolution.

It's your business if you want to spend your free time on helping a special needs animal. It's no less of a stupid past time than sitting on the couch and stuffing yourself silly while watching sports, or playing with model trains. No it's not for everyone, but that's ok, we're not all clones.

There are many instances of animals having a good quality of life despite being paralized or maimed. Broken doesn't = useless. It sounds like your insistance on helping your girl is paying off, and she may have just had a spinal bruise as well. Bless you for taking the hard road.

I have the most wonderful news!!!! She's walking now!!!!

About 5 days ago she started walking. She has been slowly regaining the ability to walk and now she's able to walk a bit better. She is no longer in the sling, but has her own cage and she stands for most of the day now. She can walk across the cage and back before needing a rest. She limps a little on her left leg, which was the bad one originally, but is able to walk to the food and water by herself now. She gets out on sunny days in a dog pen in the grass and i put another hen in to keep her company.

Her daily diet is, one scrambled egg each morning, some grapes, oranges, or whatever I have, and her regular layer pellets. I didn't change her diet much, since this is what I feed the rest of my chickens, aside from the egg. I use a regular chick waterer for her that I put up on a brick to make it easier for her to reach in her cage.

Now that she is out of the sling she doesn't need the baths anymore and keeps herself cleaner. I still get her out each day and let her run around the house a bit while I clean her cage. I noticed that after a while her droppings began to return to a normal consistancy and her vent stayed much cleaner.

To those of you out there with a similar situation, don't be too quick to give up on them, you will find that their determination and will to live is very strong. It was not really as much work as everyone seems to think. Her care took me, perhaps 45 minutes total daily while she was in the sling. No more than any of my other chores around the farm and was well worth it.

I also just wanted to give a big thank you to all of you who helped me with advice and moral support.

THANK YOU!!!

Oh, how wonderful! I am SO happy for her (and you)!
clap.gif

I have a pullet in my Infirmary Coop, kept there because one of the RIR minions ("packing peanuts" from a chick order from a few months ago) raped her, roughly, and she either broke her leg or sprained it very badly. I suspect it's broken.... It's not obviously deformed, but she stumbles and "walks" on the thigh portion of that leg about every third step. I just cannot see putting her down because of it. She's eating, drinking and pooping just fine. She chucks to me. She has been there over two weeks and while her leg still doesn't support her all the time, she moves much more easily now. I'm hoping it will heal enough for her to rejoin the flock.

And a second pullet has the same problem but is much more active (read: I cannot catch her). The minions are leaving to a friend's Freezer Camp next week, at last... I have considered putting - if I can catch her - the other injured pullet in with Beatrice, because Beatrice is awfully lonely in the Infirmary.

Anyway, I didn't mean to blather. I am just so thrilled your girl is walking now! You've done a wonderful job with her!!!

i am thrilled!!
celebrate.gif
see, miracles can happen, they have amazing healing abilities given half a chance- gryeyes, i would wrap that leg to give her a little more support, like you would a sprained ankle- would like to hear more on how she is doing

You go Sumatra503!! You had faith in her, and look how she's doing now.
I hope she will continue to regain strength. Keep treating her the way you are! Keep it up!
thumbsup.gif

Go Sumatra503. I am so glad you were able to stay strong in your dedication to your girl. I have a pullet that must have gotten a soft tissue injury as a chick and for a week or two could barely hobble around, fell over if she tried to pull a blade of grass up. She's totally fine now. I'm so glad your hen is healed and always surprised at how quickly folks assume you're delirious and should cull the bird. Congratulations.

Back
Top Bottom