Caring for green junglefowl?

CaramelKittey

Crowing
Feb 15, 2019
New Jersey
Hi all! I’ve fallen in love with green jungle fowl, but I know that they are nowhere near a breed for beginners! We’ve had chickens for 10 years, but I know junglefowl aren’t like chickens. ;) We’ve never raised any type of pheasant, peafowl, or anything like that before. We’ve just have chickens, ducks, goats, parakeets and some other animals. ;) I’d ideally like to breed them, but I honestly have no idea exactly where to start with care. I certainly wouldn’t breed or buy any, unless we had a proper coop/run, a proper feed, and lots of knowledge about them.

I’d like green junglefowl, but I’ve heard they are the hardest to take care of! So..my questions are..

What’s a good ‘beginner’ junglefowl breed, OR what is a good beginner bird in general before even thinking about jungle fowl? I’ll have more questions of course, but I just need to know if green jungle fowl can even be kept in NJ, USA. Thanks in advance!

There is a farm in Indonesia, Cemanifarms.com, and if you go to their site, you can contact them.
It’s a start. There is also a Green Jungle Fowl breeders page on Facebook.
They might be hard to get, and they won’t be cheap either, but if those are the birds you really love and want, you should start by learning all you can about them.

It's good that you are doing your research since I've also heard that the green junglefowl are the hardest to take care of. Of the 4 wild junglefowl species, I recommend you first try your hands on the red (not just any red junglefowl, but the "Richardson strain Indian red junglefowl") and/or the grey since they are slightly more cold tolerant (but by no means as cold tolerant as chickens) compared to the other two; the Ceylon/Sri Lankan and the green need heat. All 4 species of wild junglefowl are difficult to keep and are occasionally available here in the U.S. Good luck.

There is a farm in Indonesia, Cemanifarms.com, and if you go to their site, you can contact them.
It’s a start. There is also a Green Jungle Fowl breeders page on Facebook.
They might be hard to get, and they won’t be cheap either, but if those are the birds you really love and want, you should start by learning all you can about them.
Thank you! I found another breeder in Indonesia who will ship some for a good price. If it doesn’t work out I’ll take a look at Cemani Farms!

It's good that you are doing your research since I've also heard that the green junglefowl are the hardest to take care of. Of the 4 wild junglefowl species, I recommend you first try your hands on the red (not just any red junglefowl, but the "Richardson strain Indian red junglefowl") and/or the grey since they are slightly more cold tolerant (but by no means as cold tolerant as chickens) compared to the other two; the Ceylon/Sri Lankan and the green need heat. All 4 species of wild junglefowl are difficult to keep and are occasionally available here in the U.S. Good luck.
Thank you! I’ve heard of a breeder named Charles Hill I’m Commerce GA, which is 1 1/2 hours away from where one of our relatives live, that we visit every Christmas. Have you heard of him?

I’ll take a look at the Richardson Strain Indian Red Junglefowl. How do they compare to regular Red Junglefowl, and do you know where could I find some? :)

Thank you so much for your help!
Also, do you raise Junglefowl, and if so do you sell them? :)

Thank you! I’ve heard of a breeder named Charles Hill I’m Commerce GA, which is 1 1/2 hours away from where one of our relatives live, that we visit every Christmas. Have you heard of him?

I’ll take a look at the Richardson Strain Indian Red Junglefowl. How do they compare to regular Red Junglefowl, and do you know where could I find some? :)

Thank you so much for your help!
Also, do you raise Junglefowl, and if so do you sell them? :)
Mr. Charles Hill is a very credible and well respected aviculturist. You are lucky you live near him. He should be able to answer any questions you have since he has (I think) all four species of junglefowl (I know for sure he has the Richardson red junglefowl).

And yes, I do raise junglefowl, but only the Richardson reds. I sometime sell them, only because I do local pickup and not ship.

Back
Top Bottom