Caring for their feet

CarlaCo

Songster
Aug 29, 2022
Johnson City, NY (Town of Maine, NY)
Hi all.
I will try to post pics later but I have a question about my chickens feet health. We raised 12 from day 2 and they are now 15 weeks old. We split the flock with my son and each of us took 5 hens and one roo. His are in an eglu but free ranging in his fenced in suburban lawn. Mine are in a raised coop with a large run attached. In the lightly covered run, I have layers of mulch, straw and mulched leaves. I visited his recently and noticed how clean and bright their feet are compared to mine.
I don’t think mine have any mites or anything but their feet just seem less colorful and dirty. The coop is bone dry. The run is not muddy at all.
So my question is should I attempt to wash and dry their feet? If so, how? Should I put Vaseline or anything on their feet?

So my question is should I attempt to wash and dry their feet?
No. Your birds may have some tannin staining on their feet if they are walking in the mulch. It's not affecting their health in any way.
Should I put Vaseline or anything on their feet?
Not unless you actually see raised scales on their legs. Applying Vaseline to the legs is for smothering SLM. Otherwise, in the current weather, you could promote frostbite.

Back
Top Bottom