Carolina Coops - California Coop

Talullah

Chirping
May 5, 2020
Livermore, CA
I am going to be getting 3 chicks soon and it will be my first time having hens, even thought it is something I have always wanted to do. I have complete analysis paralysis when it comes to the coop. I have. no construction skills, and while my husband is handy and could probably sort something out, he has never done carpentry work before and we think building our own coop would be a considerable investment of time and effort.

I understand that most of the prefab coops that are commercially available are garbage so I was looking at Carolina Coops. The California Coop is close to the dimensions I wanted (it has a 3 x 4 coop and 4 x 9 run) which I understand would be sufficient for 3 girls. It's not inexpensive, but buying something like this would make my life easier. Does anyone have any experience with this company or feedback on the California Coop, specifically? I live in Northern California and our summers get pretty hot (100 degrees plus) and I think it has adequate ventilation. Really cold winters are less of a concern for me.

https://carolinacoops.com/shop/california-coop/#.XrRzyS2ZNTZ

It also has some additional options available for purchase. Would any of these be good investment? I was curious about the automatic run door and the waterbed with nipples.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

I live in a similar climate, and that coop looks lovely! I appreciate the windows in the hen house, especially. The extra ventilation would be essential for the hot summers, and it looks warm enough for a California winter. I don't know much about automatic run doors, but I find it enjoyable to let chickens out in the morning, although they do start clamoring as soon as it gets light out. However, I do have a nipple waterer (mine are on buckets, but same concept) and the chickens do fine, although if given a choice, mine will usually drink out of a trough. The nipple waterers are much easier to keep clean.

Rather costly but I know these are pretty popular coops, and this is big enough for 3.

Now here's the real question: are you possibly planning on getting more birds in the future? If the answer is yes or maybe, this really won't have enough space for more chickens.

As far as extras: I have a ChickenGuard door. You're partially paying for the motor/door (which would run somewhere around $200, 250?) and for them installing it, so up to you if you want to have them deal with the install. I'd skip the watering options, as you can get a very good quality nipple waterer for a lot less.

You won't need the automatic door for that coop - their attached runs are made secure so you don't have to worry about locking them in at night. Just be sure to do a predator apron around the perimeter. I think you'll be happy with that coop as long as you stick to 3 chickens.

I am going to be getting 3 chicks soon and it will be my first time having hens, even thought it is something I have always wanted to do. I have complete analysis paralysis when it comes to the coop. I have. no construction skills, and while my husband is handy and could probably sort something out, he has never done carpentry work before and we think building our own coop would be a considerable investment of time and effort.

I understand that most of the prefab coops that are commercially available are garbage so I was looking at Carolina Coops. The California Coop is close to the dimensions I wanted (it has a 3 x 4 coop and 4 x 9 run) which I understand would be sufficient for 3 girls. It's not inexpensive, but buying something like this would make my life easier. Does anyone have any experience with this company or feedback on the California Coop, specifically? I live in Northern California and our summers get pretty hot (100 degrees plus) and I think it has adequate ventilation. Really cold winters are less of a concern for me.

https://carolinacoops.com/shop/california-coop/#.XrRzyS2ZNTZ

It also has some additional options available for purchase. Would any of these be good investment? I was curious about the automatic run door and the waterbed with nipples.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Hi there. I’m a newbie:). We love Carolina coops videos!!! They share so much great info too. My hubby & 3 oldest boys started building our coop Saturday and they have the roof & frame built just need the hardware cloth & hen house closed in and predator cloth installed but super excited its almost done being we got our first chicks on Friday 😁. I totally get not building your own...we own a construction company so my husband and teens are used to working with building daily. I was trying to get hubby to just get one of those cheesy metal sheds🤦🏻‍♀️ & then retro fit it and he looked at me like I was crazy...lol. It’s bc he’s a contractor so he said he couldn’t live with a prefab thing. Haha. I on other hand was trying to save him some work but looking into it it’s all work. I do like the $300 metal shed from lowes where the person on here added a walkway and nesting boxes. It might be a cheaper option and something you guys can do but it would need a run added but I think you could do that for $100-200 depending on materials. Haha you didn’t ask about this option. Sorry...back to Carolina coops. Yes they are awesome! I too agree you’ll want to get one that you can add more chicks to because it’s kinda addicting and im
Just starting. Lol. I already want more and have 9 now & 10 due tomorrow. Carolina coops is a great company from
What we can tell, y’all won’t go wrong there if you do go that route. Excited for you!!!

Hi there. I’m a newbie:). We love Carolina coops videos!!! They share so much great info too. My hubby & 3 oldest boys started building our coop Saturday and they have the roof & frame built just need the hardware cloth & hen house closed in and predator cloth installed but super excited its almost done being we got our first chicks on Friday 😁. I totally get not building your own...we own a construction company so my husband and teens are used to working with building daily. I was trying to get hubby to just get one of those cheesy metal sheds🤦🏻‍♀️ & then retro fit it and he looked at me like I was crazy...lol. It’s bc he’s a contractor so he said he couldn’t live with a prefab thing. Haha. I on other hand was trying to save him some work but looking into it it’s all work. I do like the $300 metal shed from lowes where the person on here added a walkway and nesting boxes. It might be a cheaper option and something you guys can do but it would need a run added but I think you could do that for $100-200 depending on materials. Haha you didn’t ask about this option. Sorry...back to Carolina coops. Yes they are awesome! I too agree you’ll want to get one that you can add more chicks to because it’s kinda addicting and im
Just starting. Lol. I already want more and have 9 now & 10 due tomorrow. Carolina coops is a great company from
What we can tell, y’all won’t go wrong there if you do go that route. Excited for you!!!
Hiya! I, too, am a newbie and we're getting ready for our first chickens. Your mention of the Lowes' shed caught my eye. Do you know where you saw the photos of that coop? My fiance and I are pretty handy, and researching whether to build our own from scratch, or retro-fit something like a shed.

Back
Top Bottom