Carotenoides . Eumélanique Phaeomelanine

Ce qui plus intéressant a chercher une explication : Pourquoi la mutation BS fait des poussins blanc et pourquoi ils noicissent seulement aux pennes des ailes du moins En ce qui concerne le male
J'irai même plus loin pourquoi la femelle est blanche panachée de noite et souvent différente d'une femelle a l'autre ???
Le mâle nigripenne est en TOUT plus noir ! Le bleu du nigripenne est plus foncé que le bleu du IB. Les reflets sont noirs ... foncés !
Si on prend le temps de mieux regarder les paonnes bleues ... elles diffèrent l'une de l'autre ... tout autant !

The male BS is ALL darker ! the blue of BS is darker than the blue of the IB. The reflections are black ... dark!
If we take the time to look at blue peahen ... they differ from one another ... just as much!

Just to backtrack a bit here, re @Dany12 and his photo...

Although we know that BS is not sex-linked, he still asks an interesting question:
If there are cases where older IB hens display male characteristics (i.e. eye feathers), are there also cases where older IBBS hens display male characteristics (i.e. black feathers)?
Do we have any owners of elderly IBBS hens out there who can weigh in on this?
Just curious.

I have a Cameo BS hen and an IB barred wing hen, 19 and 20+ respectively. Neither are showing male characteristics or plumage, but both layed eggs last season so they apparently haven't hit "menopause" yet. If that bird in Dany's photo is only 16 why would it be exhibiting this so young? In Peas I did not think 16 was elderly, perhaps she has some other medical/hormonal problems other than just age.

Le mâle nigripenne est en TOUT plus noir ! Le bleu du nigripenne est plus foncé que le bleu du IB. Les reflets sont noirs ... foncés !
Si on prend le temps de mieux regarder les paonnes bleues ... elles diffèrent l'une de l'autre ... tout autant !

The male BS is ALL darker !  the blue of BS is darker than the blue of the IB. The reflections are black ... dark!

If we take the time to look at blue peahen ... they differ from one another ... just as much!

Il y a longtemps que je sais que le bleu du nigripen est plus intense que le bleu d'un IB preuve qu'il y a plus de granules de Mélanine chez lui et une fois de plus Dani ce n'est pas le problème ce n'est pas la question
La vrai question est pourquoi naissent ils pratiquement identiques à des Blancs ou justement chez eux ( les blancs ) il y a absence total de Mélanine

I have a Cameo BS hen and an IB barred wing hen, 19 and 20+ respectively. Neither are showing male characteristics or plumage, but both layed eggs last season so they apparently haven't hit "menopause" yet. If that bird in Dany's photo is only 16 why would it be exhibiting this so young? In Peas I did not think 16 was elderly, perhaps she has some other medical/hormonal problems other than just age.
For the same reason women don't go through puberty and menopause at the same time. Might also have to do with production.

For the same reason women don't go through puberty and menopause at the same time. Might also have to do with production.

So are you postulating that higher egg production may lead to earlier loss of fertility/egg production in hens? I am curious about this as I recently spoke to someone who has been breeding for many years and she said that egg production drops dramatically after her hens reach about 10 years old.

I believe that varies from hen to hen and their genetics.
For instance some chicken hes do not lay every day all threw the year so they with lay longer in life, where production hens are bred to lay every day and are replace after around 18 months.
My Cochin hens still lay an egg a week they are 6 years old but they have never layed in the winter and never layed every day, i keep them because they are great broodies.

IMO if a peahen cranks out 50 to 60 eggs a season she is not likely to lay in her late teens like one that layed 30 in a season

Last edited:
Excuse me, but we digress the subject that I remember: the color of feathers in birds and especially the peacock !!!!

As far as I know, peafowl do not deposit carotenoids via food into their feathers. If they did, then feeding lots of carotenoids to blue peafowl would turn them green. I think that the green versus blue is due more to feather structure and refraction than to any yellow pigment -- perhaps amount and placement of pigments are also variable between blue and green in peafowl.

Oh, and I think Purple works more as a dilution or modification of melanins -- besides the Blue changing to Purple, Black changes to Brown. And the Purple peafowl will also fade more from sunlight exposure than the normal Blues.

Translation via Google:

Pour autant que je sais, les paons ne déposent pas caroténoïdes présents dans les aliments dans leurs plumes. Se ils le faisaient, puis nourrir beaucoup de caroténoïdes à IB paons transformeraient leur vert. Je pense que le vert contre le bleu est due davantage à la structure des plumes et de la réfraction que de tout pigment jaune - peut-être le montant et le placement de pigments sont également variables entre le bleu et vert paon.

Oh, et je pense que Purple fonctionne davantage comme une dilution ou la modification des mélanines - outre le Bleu changer Purple, changements noir au brun. Et le paon pourpre sera également se estomper plus de l'exposition de la lumière du soleil que les Blues normales.
Je vous remercie Rosa Moschata pour vos explications
Je suis assez d'accord avait vous concernant le vert
Je reprendrais notre discutions ce soir dans environ 4 heures

:)

En resumé

Le vert chez le paon est plutot du á la structure de la plume et non á la présence de carotenoides
Pour le vérifier il suffirait de donner de la nourriture contenant de la cantaxantine ou du bêta carotene et de vérifier si notre paon devient orange ou rouge

Pour le pourpre suis d'accord en été sa traine devient terne d'où influence des UV du soleil !!
Par contre dilution de la mélanine suis pas très d'accord pour moi du noir dilué = du gris et non du brun !!!!

En ce qui concerne le Cameo je peux considérer que la mélanine brune remplace la noire nous dirons donc que le Cameo est un BRUN

Toujours pas d'explications concerne le Blackshoulder qui naît blanc

Autre question
Comment expliquer les mutations MIDNIGT BRONZE et CHARCOAL ???? Ici aussi + ou - de MÉLANISATION ????

In summary

The green in the peacock is the á rather the structure of the pen and not the presence of carotenoids á
To check it would suffice to give food containing canthaxanthin or beta carotene and check if our peacock turns orange or red

For purple agree drags his summer becomes dull hence influence of UV sun !!
As against dilution of melanin'm not very fine with me of diluted black = gray, not brown !!!!

Regarding the Cameo I can consider that the brown melanin replaces the black so we say that the Cameo is a BROWN

Still no explanation regarding the Blackshoulder born white

Another question
How to explain the changes and midnigt BRONZE CHARCOAL ???? Again + or - melanization ????

Back
Top Bottom