carrying a loaded incubator with you in a car for 6 hours?

If your not sure what you are looking for and have a Radio Shack around go there, they are very helpful and it's worth it.

Whatever you do don't decide to just wrap the bator in a blanket or whatever. You will do more harm (smother them)than if you just left it unplugged for the trip.

Last edited:
Last year when we moved I had about 20 eggs in the incubator from my own flock on day 14, I had to unplug the incubator and carry it in the car with the eggs in it, we were in the car for about 2-3 hours. As soon as we got to the new house I plugged it in and a week later we had 19 baby chicks, one egg was clear so it was almost 100% hatch! Good luck
big_smile.png

Nice to hear everyone. I'll get it, just in case. I think my biggest problem will be the bumpity, bump, bump of the Pa or NY roads getting there. I'd have nice warm eggies, but possibly broken ones too! I'll let you know what happens when we get that far.
Thanks again!
Lisa

Hi!
It's do-able. I held some partially incubated duck (??) eggs for longer than that with hot water bottles after I got them (no telling how long they'd been w/out heat before I got them --- the eggs were in a box) and then more hot water bottles for the trip home.
They're still growing.
It's not something I would recommend, tho. My situation was unplanned and emergency status.
If I'd know I was going to be gifted with strange unidentified duck eggs, I would have made arrangements.

Geez, there are easier ways to entertain
smile.png

Good luck!
If you get the bator to travel and hatch, your technique would be useful in schools and many other places where folks would get a kick from seeing chicks hatch, but don't have the time/patience to wait.

What will happen to the eggs if they don't go with you? I guess they are already set and growing and will hatch when you are away?

Unless you have a keen bator-sitter, then you HAVE to drag them along.
Sorry, I'm a little slow sometimes, but 'taking the incubator' --- regardless of the outcome, is the only option.
Again good luck,

Back
Top Bottom