Cary Chicken Ban

Cary's town council acted disgracefully! What arrogant self obsorbed and disappointing excuses for representatives of local citizens! How dare they toss aside the requests of local citezens becuase it does not interest them or serve their purposes! They took no time to understand the issue brought before them and appearantly find going to lunch more important than understanding the requests of local tax payers. What shameful local representatives!

Last edited:
Apparently Don Frantz has painted himself a liar with his most recent blog post. I wonder if my wife's public document request for all notes, documents and emails related to the chicken issue had anything to do with him not continuing to state "the responses were overwhelming opposed to this."

Correction: I watched the replay and have misquoted Mr Frantz. He did not state that it was overwhelming opposed. My mistake and apologies. The public records do show that support has been overwhelming positive. Currently 4 opposed and 11 in favor.

From Don Frantz's blog:

Care to take a guess which topic generated the most media attention, phone calls and emails prior to our meeting? You guessed it – chickens. While I consider every issue that comes before council important, one of the biggest surprises to me since I have been on the council has been what topics motivate folks to contact us. $300 million budget? 5 emails, no phone calls. Chickens? 10-15 emails, 20 phone calls, customers asking about it at work and so on. Heck, I even received a message on my Facebook page about it.

Feedback was mixed - about 50/50 honestly. While I voted against the proposal for a number of reasons such as smells, noise, and the potential for disease and predators, my biggest concern was how would the town police this program? While the majority of Cary citizens would surely follow whatever guidelines the town set up, there would be those who abuse it. Would the town have to hire more zoning enforcement officers to enforce regulations? Would folks have to agree to have their property searched if someone complained? Years ago the town imposed a limit on the amount of dogs and cats folks could keep. We couldn’t enforce that ordinance so we scrapped it. While most folks just wanted chickens for the eggs, what about those who want chicken for dinner? Would they be slaughtered in the backyard?

I honestly see no cost savings to a citizen by allowing them to keep chickens either (fresher eggs yes). By the time you pay for materials and build a chicken coup, buy chicken feed, and pay any administrative costs/permits/fees to the town, how long would it take to recoup that money saving a buck or so on a dozen eggs? I don’t buy the gas savings/environmental argument either - I know of no one that goes to the grocery store solely for a dozen eggs. For those who want farm fresh eggs I would recommend the Cary Farmer’s Market in the train depot parking lot in downtown.​

Last edited:
This really riled me up.....I hate ignorance...this guy is full of it.

I just wanted to share a couple of paragraphs I have written to end the e-mail.....

If your attitude about Homeowners Associations vs. chickens is represented by your statements, then I would hate to see what would happen...or may have already happened...if someone wanted to employ solar energy or windmill energy sources to help make their homes more efficient. The chicken issue is only the tip of the narrow-minded, let's-make-everything-pretty iceberg. The Homeowner Association mentality will leave the most beautiful, cookie cutter communities, for the chickens to take over once people like you have allowed your materialist banality to finally bring the extinction of mankind. This was once thought inconceivable, but if we, as a human race, don't start thinking about grassroots ways to use less gas, become more self-sufficient, we could run ourselves, as a species, right off the globe.

You may consider your little town to be a real "cosmopolitan", but, excuse me, NEW YORK CITY allows chickens. Check out the number of cities much with more impressive per capita incomes, property values, educations, etc. that permit backyard chicken ownership and I hope you realize how horribly you have represnted yourself.

I understand that this was a pet peeve of sort for you, but just because you THINK a certain fact pattern to be true does not mean that the rest of the country will simply agree. The facts are against your arguments, Sir. On behalf of our planet, which is becoming increasingly smaller and smaller, ecologically, I feel the need to point this out to you. Trade in your homeowner covenants for some modern attitudes that reflect the current attitude of the country regarding the economy, the family, food safety, fuel and family self-sufficiency. It's no longer a situation where what YOU do has nothing to do with me!

Best of luck. Just had to say that the following Rebuttal is wonderful. LOL:
What if some folks choose to raise chickens to eat instead of just for eggs? Would they slaughter them in their backyard? Would that be allowed?

Rebuttal: Well of course! You wouldn't want them to get blood all over the inside of their old house would you?​

* I was REALLY surprised by their arrogant audacity to lay the claim that having pet chickens would go against the image they hope to maintain of Cary as a "world class" city. How offensive for the other world's cities that allow chicken ownership and the few that actually encourage it. Such obnoxious snobbery certainly snuffed out any image of being a world class city they may have had in my opinion!!!!!

Quote:
Well said!

I'm really enjoying reading this thread. Sure wish that my wife and I had some of you around when we were trying to get our worthless, political-puppet-good-old-boy county commissioners to enforce the state law regarding weed control ordinances, especially about the Canada thistle that totally took over my native wildflower/grass prairie meadow.

urrrrghhhhhhh
he.gif
he.gif
he.gif

people can be so ignornant.. i feel for everyone invalved in this... my wishes to hurt those that are in power in cary courthouse lol

Ugh, that blog was pretty annoying to read! I understand the part about not saving money on eggs, but why is that really his concern anyway--people have chickens because they like them....I can't remember the last time my dog did something useful for me, and he's still here (though, if I could get him to pitch in on the bills, I'd do it!).

Too bad you can't take them and show them examples in the 5 Points area, or another 'upscale' neigborhood, that would be what most of the chickens in Cary would live like. Cary's "world class"image could maybe improve a bit by allowing chickens...so many people I know hear about what Cary won't allow and roll their eyes.

Back
Top Bottom