Cary Chicken Ban

The funny part is that in a recent study by cnn(?) on the top 100 places to live, Cary ranked 16. From our quick research, a majority of the higher ranked places do allow chickens and we've only looked at the top 10 so far.

Well Don Frantz is clearly too much of coward to allow comments on his blog, because I was happy to point out to him we live in one of the higher income towns in MA (average household income: $186,000) and we are allowed to have chickens for $10 yearly permit issued by the Board of Health.

His argument regarding enforcement is a total ruse - he just doens't want to consider the issue because he personally dones't agree with it.

What. A. Jerk.
tongue.gif

~Phyllis

I'm assuming you're going to try again with Cary?

I was thinking about it today, and would somewhere like Whole Foods or Trader Joe's in Cary let you put up a table with info, maybe something to give people about chickens, have maybe a friendly chicken or two? That would maybe help get the word out, and let people who think chickens are all white (no offense to the white chickens) and stinky see them and get past that idea. Besides, I think the Whole Foods crowd would be more welcoming to the idea than some other people.

Unfortunately, I think that many people's ideas of chickens come from following the poultry truck to the processing plant.

Did you guys notice he owns an "automotive center"??? He obviously isn't one who has the environment on his mind. I wonder what type of vehicle he drives...? His statements about how he doubts the possibility of any cost savings or environmental benefit are just his ignorance showing. He didn't even think to consider the amount of gas or energy consumed when raising poultry on a large scale. He probably has no idea what all is involved in the process, and just goes to the store to buy the nice 'grade A large' eggs... or actually - he may have a housekeeper who does the shopping for his family (I know several families in Cary that do). The inhumane conditions these poor hens are 'living' in are absurd as well... It's amazing how people just aren't interested or just don't take the time to learn about an issue before making a decision about it.

I certainly hope our Town Commissioners here in Wake Forest are more willing to look at and consider the facts before they make their decision. We'll find out in August or early September hopefully. I just spoke with the town clerk about being put on the agenda for the meeting on the 19th. She didn't seem really open to the idea, but I'm not concerned about her. I just want to make sure the commissioners have the truth and research to back it up right in front of them before they make that decision.

Here's another lovely journal/blog entry from the Mayor:

"Thursday night was the second longest council meeting I have had since becoming mayor. I believe we finished somewhere close to 1 AM. There were eight public hearings and several interesting topics. But the media seemed to be only interested in whether or not we would allow chickens in Cary. Well, it was pointed out in the meeting that chickens are allowed in lots designated as R-40 which is .9 acres or greater. Those are considered agricultural in Cary. The vote directing staff to bring back more information allowing chickens in Cary failed by a 4-3 margin. The most interesting comment was by council member Frantz who said the only chickens he wanted to see was “in the frozen foods or on a plate in front of him because it is 12:30 and he is hungry.” I fought for my composure at that point (and failed). I apologize to any citizens that thought I acted unprofessionally but being in our sixth hour and hearing a comment like that…"

http://weinbrecht.org/JournalPage.html

I mean really, that was the most 'interesting' comment?

And chickens are not allowed on any property larger than .9 acres. They are allowed on property zoned R-40. Many properties in Cary over .9 accres are NOT R-40. There are at least 2 in our neighborhood, over 1 acre, that ar R-12. So those people would have to apply to the city to change the zoning, and I beleive, from what I've heard in meetings, there is a $300 fee to change the zoning of the property. Ridiculous.

Em- I really wish you good luck in Wake Forest! Yeah, it's hard to imagine how someone who owns a car dealership could really grasp the idea of 'environmentally friendly'. I think its a foreign, and overly complicated, idea for him.

-Alissa

Last edited:
Hey.... Not every one who has an "automotive center" is a Jerk...

That's what my Dad owns... Car and truck repair and towing....
:eek: ... Most of my immediate family works here...

He LIKES the chickens, he recycles, has looked into the used oil burning heaters for the business (didn't get right away he didn't like the "dirty" smoke
lol.png
, he's getting one now better technology).

We take all the scrap cars to the "recyclers" after the fluids have been drained into the proper storage containers.

I really don't like it when people make judgments based on what type of job a person has...

The Mayor is a jerk..

I'm sorry DarkUnicorn - I didn't mean to offend you or your Dad. It was a generalization, like saying all used car dealers are crooks or something. I know it was unfair.

But I do want to say that this fellow obviously hasn't done his homework and shouldn't be making statements like the one he made. It just shows everyone how uninformed and careless he is. It seems that more than a few people in Cary are the same way, since he and the mayor were voted into office.

I hope that they will take time to investigate the issue more thoroughly when it comes up again... because I know it WILL come up again soon.

We live out of city limits but a friend of mine lives in city limits and her and her dad built a chicken coop. Well in city limits your only allowed to have TWO [I mean who could just live w/ TWO!? So her dad got three instead. Lol

My Dad is different from many of the repair shops around here...
tongue.png

He used to be the town government.. Long story

He (and I) remember when there were farms on this road, now mainly McMansions... I want the farms back. He hates the outrageous prices of homes in the area, and the lack of open fields.

He wants something to be left for his grandkids and great grands... if and when they get here... his grand kids, my boys have to live that long! :eek:

He has done a Major turn around in the last 15-20 years... He used to be one of those who didn't see why we had to recycle
roll.png
Now he is on the whole family's butt!!!

He likes the feathered garbage cans.... won't admit it outright but he checks on the chooks every chance he gets.... He even tosses them food when I'm not looking!

That Mayor in Cary needs to pull his head out of his @@@. Next thing he'll be saying that a small backyard garden doesn't help a family!!!

I'd like to make something very clear to all of you. Councilman Frantz and the others who voted against wasting our town staff's time are reflecting the will of their constituents. We do not want chickens, goats, bee hives, etc... in our family friendly neighborhoods. Most of us aren't interested in bean sprouts on our burgers either. We don't want the smell, the noise, nor the vermin attracted by having by having barnyard animals on typical suburban lots.

Cary does allow such on 1 acre lots where there is enough of (hopefully) a buffer between your chickens and our cats and dogs. ...and we especially don't like having backyard chickens forced on us by those that obviously didn't do their homework before moving to Cary.

The "enlightenment " of their previous community didn't seemingly translate into to doing a little research before they moved all the way across the country. If they wanted urban chickens, they should have moved to Chapel Hill. They could probably have enticed that city council into letting them be raised in the council chamber itself.

In brief, don't move to Cary and try to change it to suit your needs. We like it just the way it is.

Don Hyatt
webmaster
carypolitics.org

Back
Top Bottom