Cary Chicken Ban

Quote:
Councilman Smith's correct in terms of the zoning's intention. However, that is not the current law as you obviously already know - and that's what really matters. I can say with a reasonable amount of certainty that land will not be rezoned to R-40 because R-40 is already the lowest density base zoning available. Theoretically, you could take multiple lots with higher zoning designations, combine them and get the results zoned R-40 but I don't see that ever happening.

There are HOA rules which trump town ordinances on many these kinds of issues. That is why you see 1+ acre lots that don't allow backyard chickens (and numerous other things for that matter). And don't misread the 4-3 vote. Councilwoman Julie Robison is the only member remotely interested in allowing chickens in Cary backyards. The other two women were simply acting a bit political.

Quote:
Don, It is condescending, close-minded, uninformed people like you who are making the decisions, not the people of Cary. The majority haven't had the chance to give their opinion on this issue yet, and the ones who have were mostly in support of the issue. I hope the lackadaisical approach by the town council members isn't representative of what Cary citizens are like. I love how you say you don't want the "smell, the noise, nor the vermin", this is just showing us your ignorance on the issue at hand. It looks like you haven't done your "homework" before making these statements. I suggest you educate yourself a little more before coming on this forum and saying such hubris things as "I'd like to make something very clear to all of you". As if we don't understand the situation and you need to clear it up for us. We aren't a bunch of Third grade children who will be brow-beaten into submission, we are educated, environmentally conscious, and proactive individuals with minds of our own, Thank You!

Wrong on all counts. A close friend of mine has backyard chickens in Raleigh, where they are evidently allowed. They smell and he has had to deal with fox and cat attacks. He wound up spending far more for chicken protection than he will ever save on eggs. And I get the proactive part. Coming into town and trying to change the rules against our wishes is what the problem is to begin with. We have no intention of being brow-beaten either and since our rules are already in place, that kind of gives us the upper hand - wouldn't you say?

Oh - I almost forgot. He frequents this site (which is how I found out about the "how to change local laws" thread) and as far as I can tell, he has followed most of the advice given. His chickens are still a problem.

Just want to clarify that we don't allow flaming or rudeness. So far this thread has stretched the bounds and while it remains informative and about CHICKENS and ways to help change the laws and communicate with elected officials in order to find a good way to go about it, I will allow it to stay open.
This will not turn into a political platform. I hope that is clear.

I have a question, though.

Mr Hyatt, in order to change a law what would be the way to go about it that would make you more receptive? I am sure you know in your research, many major cities have changed the laws to keep up with modern ways and trends.
I find it a bit disheartening to see you post that "if you don't like it, stay out". If citizens were to just accept that as a way of life, what quality of life would there be?

Quote:
I understand that people should do their homework before moving to an area, but it is the citizen's right to try to change the rules if the change is needed. I remember the time women and blacks were not allowed to vote. If you equivocate the two situations you (Don Hyatt) would be saying that the two groups should have moved to Europe inorder to have the right to vote, rather than change the law and stay in America. I am sorry, but America is a democracy and laws are made to be amended when it is needed. And it is the citizens right to have laws amended. I just hope that people that live outside of NC realize that Cary is not representative of most areas of NC and choose to move here!

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
Absolutely. And I have the right to try and keep the laws just as they are. You can't take that away from me either. Your "jack-boot politics" comment was out of line.

* Interesting rebuttals; anti-chicken, anti-democratic, anti-native american, anti-woman, anti-growth, anti-personal independance!!! Hmmm, and somehow, so very UN-surprising. (Ed: I think I forgot anti-sister cities and anti-BYC, though I suppose this last is to be expected. Maybe Cary could try declaring it's independance from the rest of the country-- like Berkeley, CA!!)

Last edited:
Quote:
That's hilarious
tongue.png
Frantz with a housekeeper is one of the funnier things I've heard in years
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png
If you mean the environment isn't the only thing on his mind, I'm sure you're quite correct.

d.k :

* Interesting rebuttals; anti-chicken, anti-democratic, anti-native american, anti-woman, anti-growth, anti-personal independance!!! Hmmm, and somehow, so very UN-surprising.

Actually I don't care one way or the other for chickens. I didn't like them roaming the streets in Key West though. Your "anti-democratic" comment is just crap. I've never said attempts to change the law were wrong. Just don't expect me and others to lay down and let it happen. Democracy is a two way street even though many try to forget that.

Not sure where the anti-woman comment comes from or what that has to do with it.... How does not wanting to live like a Native American make me "anti-native american"? That's absurd. anti-growth????? anti-personal independence - that's a riot. I'd put my mine up against anybody's. After all - no one else bothered tracking you all down and putting up a fight
smile.png

*A Carolina Chick* :

[snip]

I understand that people should do their homework before moving to an area, but it is the citizen's right to try to change the rules if the change is needed. I remember the time women and blacks were not allowed to vote. If you equivocate the two situations you (Don Hyatt) would be saying that the two groups should have moved to Europe inorder to have the right to vote, rather than change the law and stay in America. I am sorry, but America is a democracy and laws are made to be amended when it is needed. And it is the citizens right to have laws amended. I just hope that people that live outside of NC realize that Cary is not representative of most areas of NC and choose to move here!

The operative word is "try". You all act like it should be a foregone conclusion and that anyone who feels otherwise must be an idiot. You can try. I can try and stop you. Life goes on. I would never compare chickens to blacks or to women. That's really a rather low thing to do.​

*A Carolina Chick* :

I understand that people should do their homework before moving to an area, but it is the citizen's right to try to change the rules if the change is needed. I remember the time women and blacks were not allowed to vote. If you equivicate the two situations you (Don Hyatt) would be saying that the two groups should have moved to Europe inorder to have the right to vote, rather than change the law and stay in America. I am sorry, but America is a democracy and laws are made to be amended when it is needed. I just hope that people that live outside of NC realize that Cary is not representative of most areas of NC and choose to move here!

He already proved he didn't have a point when he stated, "If we wanted to live like Native Americans, we would. We don't." There are those who use their opinion for the basis of arguments, will fabricate facts to try and prove their point or just continue an argument for the sake of arguing. For a person who is indifferent about a topic, he seems to have very strong opinions.

Elections from all levels of government have shown that most citizens are apathetic, which leaves the decisions to small groups that scream loudly. It will take a lot of time and effort, but the town will become educated to the point where close minded individuals will opt to leave and make this town and even better place.

Quote:
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom