Cary Chicken Ban

* Tracking "us", you mean BYC down??? Hardly think we've been in hiding, Mr. Hyatt. Nearly 14,OOO people signed on before you did. Also, the insinuation that we consider chickens on a level with African-Americans and women is low. We do, however, tend to consider THE RAISING OF chickens a step toward independence and a stride for personal freedom-- small though it may be to some.

Last edited:
You missed the point. You have the right to your opinions, but people have the right to try to make a change whether you agree with them or not. If you look at US history many laws have been changed and unchanged (Prohibition for example). Just look at Raleigh, they banned garbage disposals, but turned around and changed their decision in a very short amount of time. Underserved citizens (women and blacks) gained the right to vote. Which would not have happened if there wasn't a change. I took offense to you suggesting people shouldn't try to change the regulations in Cary. People have the right to move to Cary and try to change the existing laws. I am sorry, but not counting the chicken issue, Cary really is ridiculous about some of their regulations and I am positive some changes will be made. Change is inevitable. Cary citizen's may never get to keep chickens, but they have a right to fight for the change. They also have the right to have representation that puts their wishes before the representative's personal agenda.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
Forgetting for the moment that backyard chickens and "modern ways and trends" is rather humorous to say the least, the Manfre's went about it in exactly the right way. I honestly feel bad that newlyweds are having to go through such an ordeal. It's not a good way to start a new life in a new town
sad.png

I'm quite sincere in my comment that Cary is a tad on the elite side. Someone commented that it's HOA-city and that's not too far from the truth. What needs to be realized is that the HOA mentality is preferred by the vast majority here. Neighbors get upset when lawns aren't green and trimmed. I've personally witnessed homeowner's using hand scissors to precisely trim their grass along the street and around their bushes, mailboxes etc... It's a great place to live precisely because of the rules and regulations in place. Some of those rules make it difficult for crime to get a foothold and some make hard on the chickens and goats. It's not really personal (though I've obviously opened myself up to all kinds of attacks in that regard).

If the Manfre's or others really want to change the law, there will be a mechanism for them to try beyond simply making a 2nd attempt with Cary Town Council. Cary is about to implement a new Citizen Issue Review Commission ( http://www.townofcary.org/boards/circ/circ.htm ) whereby citizens can find a handful of like-minded citizens and petition the town to help them study the issue and bring a recommendation before Town Council - regardless of existing laws or lack thereof. I helped design the commission and it is intended specifically for issues such as this.

d.k :

* Tracking "us", you mean BYC down??? Hardly think we've been in hiding, Mr. Hyatt. Nearly 14,OOO people signed on before you did. Also, the insinuation that we consider chickens on a level with African-Americans and women is low. We do, however, tend to consider THE RAISING OF chickens a step toward independence and a stride for personal freedom-- small though it may be to some.

Sorry. That came across poorly. What I meant was that no one else from Cary who objects had bothered posting here and I wasn't the one who compared the chickens issue to the right to vote. I'm sure you do consider it an act of personal freedom and I respect that - to a point. If you wanted to raise chickens in your basement, I really wouldn't care. FWIW - I'd buy the "it's fun to raise them" argument long before I'd buy the "it's part of the struggle against the man" argument.​

Quote:
Precisely. Unfortunately, I'm an expert on public apathy. I'm doing the screaming because I know nobody else will
sad.png

Quote:
Thank you for sharing this information. I think what most of us are asking is for the Council keep an open mind. There are some draw backs from having chickens in town, but other animals that have the same exact draw backs and are allowed. However, there are a lot of advantages to having chickens that other animals can't provide. People just want the right to make the choice of having backyard chickens. I commend the couple who took the initiative to make a change.

Last edited by a moderator:
I looked up Cary on Wikipedia to get a feel for the town.

"Today’s Cary began in 1750 as a settlement called Bradford's Ordinary. About 100 years later, the construction of the North Carolina Railroad between New Bern and Hillsborough placed Bradford's Ordinary on a major transportation route. Allison Francis "Frank" Page is credited with founding the town. Page was a Wake County farmer and lumberman. He and his wife, Catherine "Kate" Raboteau Page bought 300 acres (1.2 km²) surrounding the railroad junction in 1854 and named his development Cary after Samuel Fenton Cary (a former Ohio congressman and prohibitionist he admired). Page became a railroad agent and a town developer. He laid out the first streets in Cary and built a sawmill, a general store and a post office (Page became the first Postmaster). In 1868, Page built a hotel to serve railroad passengers coming through Cary. The Town of Cary was incorporated on April 6, 1871, with Page becoming the first mayor. [11] In 1879, the Raleigh and Augusta Air-Line Railroad (later the Seaboard, now CSX Transportation) arrived in Cary from the southwest, creating Fetner Junction just north of downtown and spurring further growth.

In the early years Cary adopted zoning and other ordinances on an ad-hoc basis to control growth and give the city structure. Beginning in 1971, the town created a Planned Unit Development (PUD) zoning to accommodate population growth related to the growth of Research Triangle Park nearby. A PUD allows a developer to plan an entire community before beginning development, thus allowing future residents to be aware of where churches, schools, commercial and industrial areas will be located well before such use begins. Kildaire Farms, a 967-acre (3.9 km²) Planned Unit Development in Cary was North Carolina's first PUD. It was developed on the Pine State Dairy Farm by Thomas F. Adams, Jr. Adams named a section of Kildaire Farms "Farmington Woods" in their honor. The local government has placed a high value on creating an aesthetically pleasing town."

Does anyone else find it ironic that the town founder was a farmer?

Just curious.

* Lol!!! AH! Mr. Hyatt- Does that mean if the Manfre's come back asking for the right to raise chickens in their basement that they could look forward to an approval?? Could be done. . . We have had more than one member raise a few birds indoors. Even one I am aware of fairly recently doing so in a urban center high-rise.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom