Cassowary videos

Went yesterday to the st. augustine aligator farm because I learned they have a Cassowary there and wanted to see it. This one was supposed to have been born to a pair kept at White Oaks animal sanctuary. Now I know "aligator farm" sounds very tourist trappy, but wow was I impressed with this place. The enclosures and general atmposhere of the place was great. Very shady with lots of mature trees all over, just was very suprised at how nice this zoo was. If you are ever around north east Florida, I recommend a visit for sure.

They are beautiful birds. Maybe someday...

I love Cassowaries! They are the most badass bird I have ever seen, and that is something coming from a bird collector and bird hobbyist like me, maybe someday I can get a good paying job and buy one from you. If they can live for 50 years they are well worth the price, I guess I will have to get an Emu soon instead. Me and my dad like collecting and raising bird species, but I will have to get into ratites when I am an adult. I am 15, by the way.

I love Cassowaries! They are the most badass bird I have ever seen, and that is something coming from a bird collector and bird hobbyist like me, maybe someday I can get a good paying job and buy one from you. If they can live for 50 years they are well worth the price, I guess I will have to get an Emu soon instead. Me and my dad like collecting and raising bird species, but I will have to get into ratites when I am an adult. I am 15, by the way.
You are so lucky to have parents that are into animals as well! I'm 16 and my parents don't like any of my animals and they wont let me build any breeding pens for any of my ducks or geese. So now I'm trying to convince my parents to let me get a pair of ostrich chicks, but that's a LONG shot. Beautiful Cassowary's! It is a shame that so many country's are so stuburn that they wont ship out animals for the better of the the animal population. My friend owns a Zoological Wildlife Conservation Center and she has been trying for ever to get the Australian people to allow exporting of some of their critically endangered species like the Brush tailed Bettong their is only 1200 left in the world and Australia wont ship any of them to other country's, when their need to some exporting of them to keep from interbreeding. Hope you can have the best of luck with the breeding of your Cassowary and have great success with them!

If I may make a suggestion, Poulty09, parents aren’t so much worried about how old their kids are by their actual number of years as by their ability to behave sanely, that is, responsibly. So, you could try this line, ‘Gee mum, I’m a fifteen-year-old who could be a mere air-head; but I’m showing diligence and initiative in this project.’ Make true every little statement you make: ‘I will provide food and water for this tree for a month, every day, no fail.’ Parents love this stuff.

There’s a big big difference between your parents wanting you to become a competent human being, and their being ‘into animals.’ For example, I betcha that if you say, ‘Okay, my school grades will improve twenty-five percent if I can do the emu thing,’ they might well say, ‘Well, okay . . . '

Discipline is a kid’s best friend.

S.E.

Last edited:
[SIZE=12pt]If I may make a suggestion, Poulty09, parents aren’t so much worried about how old their kids are by their actual number of years as by their ability to behave sanely, that is, responsibly. So, you could try this line, ‘Gee mum, I’m a fifteen-year-old who could be a mere air-head; but I’m showing diligence and initiative in this project.’ Make true every little statement you make: ‘I will provide food and water for this tree for a month, every day, no fail.’ Parents love this stuff.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]There’s a big big difference between your parents wanting you to become a competent human being, and their being ‘into animals.’ For example, I betcha that if you say, ‘Okay, my school grades will  improve twenty-five percent if I can do the emu thing,’ they might well say, ‘Well, okay . . . '[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Discipline is a kid’s best friend.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]S.E.[/SIZE]

Thanks for the suggestion Tame Emu Guy! I Will try to do something to convince them to let me build new pens for my animals.

Thanks, and that sucks that your parents don't like your birds that well. My parents are usually willing to buy bird species and supplies for them. I raise chickens, call ducks, mandarin ducks, ornamental pheasants, and 3 peafowl at the moment. I will be getting an Emu this year or next year, depending on the fencing prices.

Thanks, and that sucks that your parents don't like your birds that well. My parents are usually willing to buy bird species and supplies for them. I raise chickens, call ducks, mandarin ducks, ornamental pheasants, and 3 peafowl at the moment. I will be getting an Emu this year or next year, depending on the fencing prices.
Yea it does suck! but this is not a place vent about my life so congrats on getting an emu real soon
clap.gif

Awesome to see that you are so interested in this type of stuff. I was around 14 or 15 when I first fell in love with Cassowaries, and we lived on a farm, so I quickly bought emus, ostriches, and rheas lol. Back then was when the market fell out on all of them...except Cassowaries because there never was a meat market for them. I bought my first pair of Rheas for $30, and Emus for $50, Ostriches were $100 per chick, so I bought 3 and raised them to adults. Cassowaries had such a bad reputation that it took me forever to talk my dad into letting me get a pair. I was 18 when I finally got them. Had to pay a few thousand for them, and it was really hard to find them. Now its impossible to find them, and the prices have sky rocketed on them. Emus are still very cheap, and make the best pet of the 4. Rheas and Ostriches have really gone up on price too. Both Rhea and Ostrich males get very aggressive. Cassowary males and females are both aggressive lol. Not many younger individuals today interested in this type of thing, and many of the beloved bird breeders i've known my whole life have passed away from old age sadly. Birds always kept me out of trouble growing up. While my friends were all into doing stupid things and drugs, I was just focused on how to get money for my next pair of birds haha. That should be some incentive for your parents to allow you to get a Emu and other birds :) By the way, the oldest Cassowary on record was 86 to my knowledge

Back
Top Bottom