Cast iron skillets

I have a collection of cast iron pans - one even a wok - and use them all the time. I have a lot of stainless steel, a set of Revere Ware - but I use the cast iron most of the time. It will last several lifetimes and I don't use lard or crisco to season them - just any oil or fat I have. I use warm soapy water to clean them, then just re-season with oil. Sometimes I refresh the seasoning by rubbing the surface inside with some fat - even veg oil - and putting them in a warm oven for 30 minutes or so. Using them for bacon gives them a great seasoning surface. When I make corn bread, I heat a cast iron skillet with bacon fat until it's sizzling and pour the batter into the hot pan - not removing any of the fat - and bake it until it's done. It comes out fabulous and the bacon fat seasons the pan to perfection. They are indeed better than teflon non-stick - those pans never work for me because they get scratched and that teflon goes into the food. That can't be good.

We even had a rack made specifically for my cast iron collection.

Ooh, I hate teflon pans. I used to have one, it cost about 12 bucks. I was really really careful with it but by the second year it was scratched and teflon flaking into the food, so the pan was no good. It seemed like such a waste. Cast iron is cheap, extreamly long lasting, and makes the food taste better. I have 2 cast iron grill pans, and 2 skillets. I want a cast iron soup pot too, my inlaws have one and they do casserols and chilli in it as well as other stuff. And pp you were right, bacon grease is the best seasoner.

I bought my first one this year, after moving to Maine and finding a great place to buy them. My first pan spent almost the whole summer on the top rack of the gas grill ( in between using it). It got nice and hot, and I'd grease it with oil or shortening (whatever I had on hand) in between, and it got very nicely seasoned.

Wouldn't ya know it, though-- as soon as I brought it in the house--- dh scrubbed "that black stuff" right off of it..... Now I'm working on reseasoning a total of 4 pans!!

Had a chance to try out the "seasoned" skillet.

Yesterday my wife tried out MissPrissys fried chicken recipe and used the pan......it worked great!

Then this morning I made bacon and eggs, and althought the eggs "stuck" just a bit it was not bad at all.

I guess we are making headway on it.

Back
Top Bottom