Castor oil for slm in cold weather

Jenjens

Songster
Jun 5, 2019
IL
Hello,

I have been using castor oil a couple times for a new hen with scaly leg mites. I prefer to do this at night so it sinks in all night without getting dirty. It is getting cold here with nights in the 20s. Does anyone know if that would be a problem with her having oiled-up legs in low temps? It's just going to get colder and I am not sure if the mites are gone since its so bad and her legs look the same.

THanks!

It can take quite awhile before you see any difference.
Can you post pics of her legs, please.

I don't think the oil is detrimental in the cold, rub it up under scales then wipe excess off.

If you don’t mind treating with some ivermectin pour-on (0.1ml per every 2 pounds of weight once and repeat in 7 days,) that would treat her instantly. Toss eggs for 2 weeks after treatment. Castor oil is very good, but using some oils such as vaseline, can increase chances of frostbite to combs in freezing weather.

Hello,
I will tomorrow. The scales are so raised, it looks like spikes coming out when she is roosting. She came from an organic farm. My thought on those farms have changed in regards to cleanliness of their housing when I saw the indoor house personally, but the free range still gets my vote.

If you don’t mind treating with some ivermectin pour-on (0.1ml per every 2 pounds of weight once and repeat in 7 days,) that would treat her instantly. Toss eggs for 2 weeks after treatment. Castor oil is very good, but using some oils such as vaseline, can increase chances of frostbite to combs in freezing weather.

I thought people applied Vaseline to prevent frostbite!!!! ANnyway, I will look into invermectin, as I would love a one dose treatment. I tried the stuff that has pine tar in it and it just hardened and took weeks until that was off. Thank you!

Hello,
I will tomorrow. The scales are so raised, it looks like spikes coming out when she is roosting. She came from an organic farm. My thought on those farms have changed in regards to cleanliness of their housing when I saw the indoor house personally, but the free range still gets my vote.
I made a mistake in my post above, and have corrected it. The ivermectin should be repeated in 2 weeks (14 days,) and the eggs should be discarded for 1 weeks after each dose.

I made a mistake in my post above, and have corrected it. The ivermectin should be repeated in 2 weeks (14 days,) and the eggs should be discarded for 1 weeks after each dose.
Great. Thanks! We are egg-free now anyway.

Okay, so I can only find ivermectin 1% solution at tractor supply and is online order only with a total 46 bucks. Wowza.

Does anyone want to help me with dosage instructions because I don't want to spend so much money without knowing how to use it. I will put it in the skin on their necks.

Back
Top Bottom