Cat ate my chicken

Hey, so I didn’t see Thomas come into my room when I was moving chicks from the incubator to the brooder, and he got one of my hatchlings. Is there any way to discourage this behavior? He doesn’t go after my older birds, and is practically the worst barn cat ever, I’m not sure what got into him, but I need advice.
Don't allow the cat access to the chicks

Put Thomas OUTSIDE when you are going to do something for the chicks. At this point he is conspiring and watching. He will never forget the joy of catching a small harmless creature.
he catches mice, but never actually killed one. He even once brought a mouse into the mud room, then let it go because he forgot what to do with it. He’s so lovable and stupid, I still don’t know why he did it. But yeah, I guess instinct is instinct, even if he looks like that.

Attachments

• 9AC252D9-7B35-445C-A4EA-B864E78F56A3.jpeg
    9AC252D9-7B35-445C-A4EA-B864E78F56A3.jpeg
    465.7 KB · Views: 6
We have 3 indoor/outdoor cats. One even sleeps on the brooder, but when we have the 2nd brooder going and they're in the bathroom, we have to keep the door shut. They don't bother any chickens or chicks free ranging or in the coop, but let them get near a small chick and that's like putting an ice cream cone in front of a 2-year-old and expecting them not to lunge for it. I love my cats, but don't trust them with tiny chicks.

We have 3 indoor/outdoor cats. One even sleeps on the brooder, but when we have the 2nd brooder going and they're in the bathroom, we have to keep the door shut. They don't bother any chickens or chicks free ranging or in the coop, but let them get near a small chick and that's like putting an ice cream cone in front of a 2-year-old and expecting them not to lunge for it. I love my cats, but don't trust them with tiny chicks.
yeah, I have four cats.

yeah, I have four cats.
I have 10, sometimes 11. All but two are indoor out door.

Brooded Halloween and Thanksgiving hatch in my room w/cats. Took a while before the babies where a foot note in my most hunter like cats. Now even in site they are not the new toy on the block. Ruby, on of my oranges won't let the others near her babies(the chicks) when she was in the room with them she would chase all the others out.

To answer your question, No, you can't train the DNA out of them. It's as you've said, it's very rare they'd go after a full grown chicken, but babies are way too easy. Brood chicks separate from cat, whatever you have to do. It was just one benefit for me when I started a brooder inside my cat free coop (But I do have feral cat's outside of the coop.)

Back
Top Bottom