Cat attack

Whitmass

Hatching
Jun 10, 2023
Hi,

We just got new young chickens (have grown new feathers but still the size of a large grapefruit ).

It looks liek a cat got one of them and there is intestines (I think) hanging out the butt.

Is there any hope for this little gal? We are brand new to this chicken thing!

What can we do if there is hope?

It sounds like she should be put down. Post a picture. Usually when the bowel comes out of the vent more than a normal prolapse, they will die a painful death from infection.

Hi,

We just got new young chickens (have grown new feathers but still the size of a large grapefruit ).

It looks liek a cat got one of them and there is intestines (I think) hanging out the butt.

Pictures will help others to see how bad it is
If there was a chance to recover baby would need a round of antibiotics started right away
Unfortunately cats leave bad bacteria in bites
We learned with a baby rabbit I rescued from my cats. 2 weeks later the area got swollen and baby died 12 hours later
Vets told us the infection was from the cat bite and eventually entered the blood stream

Hi,

It sounds like she should be put down. Post a picture. Usually when the bowel comes out of the vent more than a normal prolapse, they will die a painful death from infection
Okay thanks for the fast replys. Here are photos. Also I guess then what’s the best way to put it down?

Attachments

• IMG_7180.jpeg
    IMG_7180.jpeg
    584 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_7179.jpeg
    IMG_7179.jpeg
    478 KB · Views: 11
The fastest easiest way to put a chick down is to use an ax or loppers to take the head off, a very sharp knife to cut the jugular veins on each side of the neck, or to do a cervical dislocation. It is hard for any of us to do this, but a responsibility we chicken owners need to do so they don’t suffer. So sorry that this happened. Hopefully you can make sure the coop and run are cat and predator proof.

Back
Top Bottom