Cat Driving Me Insane

I brought the terrarium I planted for the school science lab home with me. School got out the last week of May, the terrarium is dead, munched mulch. Why? The year old cat thought I brought in a new toy and salad bar. To get into said salad bar Neo must jump about 3 1/2 feet straight up. Doesn't bother him.

Some kitties take longer to settle down.

"The trouble with a kitten is that eventually it becomes a Cat." Ogden Nash

Quote:
You do understand that cats are nocturnal and will sleep all day and play all night? That is just normal behavior for a nocturnal critter.

big_smile.png

Rusty

Is she in the crate all night? If she is then she probably sleeps in there all night and is running around all day playing because sleeping was all she can really do at night. That run, run, run slide happens even when they're older. Especially if you have other cats. We call ours romp-a-room. After a while it kinda becomes soothing, lol. If you want a cheap cat toy, and if your cat is a back leg thumper, take some old socks, wad them up and shove them in another sock and tie it shut. Then it's a really good thing for them to thump instead of your arm/leg. When they get older, if you use catnip, they Really go after it then.
Whether she hears or not, does she respond to you when you talk to her? Could just be that she'd used to pans making noise and it's not a big deal to her. A finger snap, high pitched squeak or clicking noise, or another noise you can make with your mouth might be able to help you tell.

Thats the major thing...she doesn't respond to my voice, clicks, screeches or anything of the sort. I figured she was being a cat and ignoring me. She doesn't even swivel her ears to my voice at all.

She's in the crate in another room at night because she won't sleep at night. Otherwise she'd be welcome to stay in our room. When I'm at work she's in the crate but when I get home she gets 8+ hours to play.

spray bottle worked really well for me to deter bad behavior. but eventually they can hear the sound of the water sloshing in the bottle. my two sounded like elephants racing up and down the stairs....needless to say they started spending nights on the enclosed porch and had roam of the house during the day. It worked well for all.

Just be glad you don't have a clingy cat. As I am typing this, I have a 1yr old requiring that I hold her like a baby for the past half hour. I am constantly tripping over her, and every time I sit down, she has to be on my lap. At night, she curls up next to me, and makes me wrap both my arms around her like she is some sort of stuffed animal. She sleeps like that ALL NIGHT. If I move, she moves, if I kick her off, she gets right back up. I have even rolled over and she just hold on and rolls right along with me without even moving.

Every cat and kitten is different. Most are super playful at that age - most typically start to calm down some when they hit 5-6 months. Getting them fixed early tends to help also. The typical 'calm down' happens around a year or so. I have 1 year old cat who's always been lazy since she took up here last year as a kitten...my other 3 are near 4 years old now and they go through spells where they make like tornados and rip through the house for an hour non stop. Laser lights are a godsend. - lol.

RoPo - when shes in another room, throw a tinkly ball, or while her back is to you, bang a pot or clap your hands...tap the floor...if you get no reaction - shes deaf. usually cats are SUPER curious and want to check out any noise - or jump at sudden noises atleast a bit. The fact her ears don't even swivel around and register to sound is a red flag to me that shes probably totally deaf or severely hearing impaired.

I will tell you 2 great tricks/toys for sight interested hyperactive cats - a nail, a string, and a tinkle ball with ribbons tied to it (or something with alot of flowy moving ribbons/strings to catch their attention) also best if your string is elastic. - nack the nail in the middle of an open doorway, put the ball/toy just above her head height at first, and show it to her. bat it so she gets the idea. hours of entertainment that doesn't get lost under desks, furniture, or appliances ( i have to do weekly runs with a flyswatter or broom under everything to get all the kid and cat toys *sigh* ) as she grows and as she gets the hang of the ball and jumping and backflips, raise it up an inch or two, or drop it back down sometimes for a bit of spice and so she has more work to do to get the ball.

#2 - a short low to the ground fan with a heavy/weighted base, when I go on vacation I ziptie a bit of hardware cloth to the front of a fan (so the cats aren't stupid and stick their paws in it to get caught by the blade *sigh* ) and tie ribbons to the fan - some short and some really long so they just wiggle and don't actually get blown straight out.... has proven to be great entertainment for my cats. I sit a brick on front and back of the base so the cats can't knock it over.

Well don't I feel special. I get less attention than a plastic bag crumpled up repeatedly. On the bright side, she'll be able to hear the mice to catch them!

Quote:
Or 10...or more.....

I have a 10yo+ housecat who still has her moments.
Even my little 6yo Verminator of a barncat sometimes gets a playful case of the Zoomies.

But do not give up - both of them spend more time sleeping than running crazy.

My newest cat, he's about 2 years old now, wouldn't have anything to do with me unless he was attacking my hair. Didn't matter if it was in a ponytail or not. If I was sitting in the leather chair he could hop up on my hair was fair game. Now after a few months and he realized that I would dish out treats did he finally want anything to really do with me. He was about the same age as your kitten I think. Maybe a month older. He'd been stuck in a garage for a month though before we got him. He's a big lover now...and a beggar.

Back
Top Bottom