1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cat Food for Chickens

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by dmclalin, Jan 2, 2012.

1. dmclalin

dmclalin Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2011
    South Lyon, Michigan
    Can you feed cat food to chickens as a treat or supplement?

2. Sportsterjeep

Sportsterjeep Creekside Acres Farm

Jun 1, 2010
    Mill Hall PA
    Yes, just not a steady solid diet. However, I had a free ranging light brahma that would always run to the cat food when she was let out, and she never had issues. It helps when they are coming out of a moult to have the extra animal protein that's in it, especially with crested breeds.

3. dmclalin

dmclalin Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2011
    South Lyon, Michigan
    That is good to know. I have several bags of dry cat food that my finicky cats don't like very well and the humane society won't take open food. So I was just going to throw it out to the swans, geese, ducks and other wild critters that populate the pond. I have decided to try chickens this spring and I figure after they become young adults on regular feed that I could supplement their feed. Also friend at local grocery store is going to save me some greens from produce section that they trim away before putting up for sale.

4. Olwethen

Olwethen Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2011
    near Athens GA
    Mine LOVE cat food. I don't see any reason it would be bad for them, except for the really cheap cat foods that have artificial color in them. In fact, some cat foods are so high in grains and cereals they are more fit for chickens than cats.

Stephanie

5. upcdayz

upcdayz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2010
    Oklahoma
    My chickens love cat food. I'll set a bowl out for them occasionally and they can't get to it fast enough.

6. mamawolf544

mamawolf544 Unbreakable Heart

Apr 29, 2009
    alvarado, Tx
    My chickens fight the cats for food, my GP will fight the chickens for hen scratch. The pot belly pig and the chickens fight over each others food, including the scraps. And the goats want the chickens feed and the chickens want the goat pellets. [​IMG]

But I have to stand guard so the poor cats can eat. [​IMG]

7. Mum

Mum Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2011
    UK
    Are we talking dry cat food or wet cat food or both? [​IMG]

8. Sportsterjeep

Sportsterjeep Creekside Acres Farm

Jun 1, 2010
    Mill Hall PA
    Most of the time just dry. Unless the chickens happen to come when the kitties get the special noms.

9. Dirty Farmer

Dirty Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    We had to move the barn cats food dish up high on a shelf, that only the cats could reach. So the darn hens wouldn't eat it all. They go crazy for the stuff.

10. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    when i let my chickens out the ones that remember make a `B`line for the front porch for the dry cat food. no matter how many times i have told them its cat food.. i have even showed them the bag with the pretty kitty on the front... they just dont get it ... lol

but once the dish is empty it will not get re filled before the chickens are back in the coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by