I’ve experienced wood pellets ( used for cat litter) was good for poops but horrible when they knock over their water. I’ve tried aspen wood shavings. It worked alright but smells funky after not very long. I use sand with a few wood chips sprinkled through now. the birds seem to be enjoying it And it doesn’t smell as much, plus like others said you can kind of spot clean so you don’t have to keep throwing away a ton of bedding material like with the other two I mentioned.

My are on the ground with a sand covered bottom. It's often wet when there's rain, so I sprinkle straw over it to extend the time between cleanings. Otherwise it turns into glue. There are 36 birds in there so they poop it up in no time. I'll add fresh straw a couple of times before removing it all. On clean-up day it's so matted together, I can roll it up like a carpet and throw it on a compost heap.

The birds sure get excited on clean-up days. Especially if I'm adding any new sand. They seem to like the straw and make spots in it for eggs.

Back
Top Bottom