Cat With Sores On His Chin...(pics)

Quote:
x2 My cat used to get this on her chin, my vet told me not to use plastic bowls because it can cause it.

We use both plastic and metal...
The plastic is for the wet cat food... but we pick them up after eating and wash for night time feeding..
*sigh*
I'll have to look for more metal bowls..

Quote:
Yeah.. sounds like thats what we'll have to do... i dont need my other cats getting it..
hmm.png

I work for a vet. Your cat has what appears to be "chin acne". Switch all his bowls to metal/glass/ceramic. Toss everything plastic. I would suggest a vet visit to get some steroids to tame that down a little and probably an antibiotic. I'd start that now. It's sometimes a long process clearing that up.

It's not contagious. Your other cats should only get that if they are also irritated by the plastic on bowls.

Last edited:
I agree kitty acne. My first cat had it. Vet said to just leave it alone, unless it gets real bad. Yours is worse than mine had, but not by much. Ask your vet about it. I wouldn't be putting anything on it from home. Might irritate the skin more.
Good news is it did not last long, maybe a year, then it cleared up.
I did not have plastic bowls, but was warned about them.
Vet said it was more common in white cats; yours has a lot of white on it. Mine was solid white.

and red, don't worry too much about the staph-it's everywhere anyhow.

Impcat

btw- It was gross, but Herbie George liked having her chin rubbed. It might have helped it clear up.
idunno.gif

Last edited:
Looks like a textbook classic case of feline acne. With it being that red and scabby, it may be worth a trip to the vet for antibiotics. I've seen feline acne pustules that have been bad enough to actually spray across the room when they ruptured!
sickbyc.gif
You can also apply warm washcloth compresses for 15 minutes twice daily to help get the area cleaned up. The vet I work with recommends pyoben shampoo, the active ingredient is benzoyl peroxide. I'm not sure if tea tree shampoo or oil would have a similar effect. Some cats only have one or two rounds with feline acne. Others (especially ones with allergies or other skin problems) seem to battle it for their whole life.

Yeah, i just found a tube of antibiotic pet ointment stuff in my pet medical bag.. says its safe for cats and dogs.. (should have looked in there earlier..
roll.png
)
I'm going to try that for a day or 2 and see if it helps any....
If not, i'll be calling the vet..
Maybe i'll put the cone of shame on him... maybe hes scratching it, and making it worse? But then that will mess with him eating...
I'll just try this ointment first and see what happens..

I have been using Vetericyn on my guinea pigs (bite/scratch wounds) and it works great. I got it at our local feed store, but you can get it on Amazon. It is supposed to kill staph. I am not really sure why it works, but it did for me (and my abcessed guinea pig) and the reviews for it are 5 star.

Quote:
The one i found is Animax Cream??
hu.gif

Well, see if it works...

Actually i "think" i saw a tube of the Vetericyn in there also....(i thought it said for eyes though...but maybe not..)

*off to check my bag*
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom