Catalana-d'uccle???

jtbeckett

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 23, 2010
I got this hen a couple of days ago from an ad in craigslist... random stray chicken, been living in people's backyards in a neighborhood for a few months... none of them wanted it, and I miss having a chicken (used to have a pet rhode island as a kid... she was very sweet and loving... but she was the only chicken we had at the time) Last house she stayed at said she doesn't lay eggs and she'd been in their yard for nearly 2 months straight.

Anyhow... this one's a bantam, and she was flighty when I went to go get her... had mites, so I got her treated for that right away, made her a nest for the shed, until I can get a proper raised coop for her.

Here's a picture of her... you cant see the black markings on her tail here, but I assure you the tail looks exactly like a catalana... you can definately see her face and feet here, though... http://pics.livejournal.com/jtbeckett/pic/0002c5dk

She's
very docile now, she laid an egg within 12 hours of moving to our house... and laid another one within 24 hours of the first... she seems to like snuggling, but she pecked my dog on the nose, so he won't go in the shed anymore... which is fine with me. She hasn't pecked the cat yet, but she looks at him like he's crazy when he grazes next to her. (he's an indoor cat, but sometimes gets supervised backyard vacations)

Anyhow... I was just curious if anyone here could tell me what breed (or cross-breed) this chicken is.

Last edited:
she looks like a Faverolles mix to me. Feathered legs, beard, the color is not perfect. the face is also not perfect. Does she lay cream-colored eggs?

Her eggs are light tan... I'll have to count her toes tomorrow... never thought to look, and it's hard to see them with all the feathers on her feet.

Three toes in front, one in back... she has really cute toes
lol.png

looks like either a buff d'uccle or a d'uccle cochin cross. to my knowledge there are no catalana bantams so if it were a catalana it would not fit that easy into a single hand.

Back
Top Bottom