1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cataracts?

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by KsKingBee, Mar 21, 2016.

1. casportpony

casportpony Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    So sorry! What will you do with him?

-Kathy

2. KsKingBee

KsKingBee Overrun With Chickens

I have no idea. He is a nice bird and getting prettier all the time, but just a burden for me. We will see what the breeder that sold him to me says, then see if I can find him a home.

3. q8peafowl

q8peafowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2014
    Kuwait
    So sorry, this is too bad, after waiting all that time for an expensive bird that's not the thing you want to hear.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  4. Garden Peas

Garden Peas Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2014
    Ya know, I sure wish someone would start a collection of DNA from these blind birds so peach/cameo breeders could screen for it and we could get it out of the breeding stock. Imagine if you had been breeding that bird for 5 or 6 years when it turned up. (You probably beat me to that by a full 24 hours)

1 person likes this.
  5. Garden Peas

Garden Peas Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2014
    BTW, I have been wracking my nearly-senile brain, because I couldn't remember, but I think this is what was once referred to as the "cameo death gene" -- I couldn't remember if the birds actually had increased mortality from the gene itself, or simply as a consequence of the blindness. I'm am pretty sure there was more info over on the UPA forum (where the heck did it go???), but I found a couple of old threads with references to it here on BYC. You'll have to scroll through the page to find the stuff...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/847427/peafowl-genetics-for-dummies-in-other-words-us/50

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/886960/peach-peafowl-any-health-or-genetic-problems

There's also a reference on this page which suggests bronze (or some of them) may have done variable white molting, but were thought not to go blind:

http://www.clnjr.com/Buford Bronze Peafowl.htm

However, if you read carefully in the first two BYC threads that I linked above, there is a mention of a bronze bird with progressive white that became blind. So perhaps there is an association after all?

@Birdrain92 , hurry up with that education of yours and see if you can't research this for us! This takes more lab equipment that even @casportpony has (I think)... [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. q8peafowl

q8peafowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2014
    Kuwait
    I heard of some progressive pied bronze peacocks that gone blind before, i think Alex had one? Anyway, for such a new color like peach you can imagine how many related birds were bred together to create a peach silver pied bird, and peach birds already have some genetic issues without being inbred, best choice will be buying spalding peach birds or regular peaches out of split birds.

7. KsKingBee

The breeder I got them from said he did not have any Peach SP cocks but did offer me a free IB Pied split Peach. [​IMG]
    He is putting it in the mail tomorrow. [​IMG] It isn't what I bought, but I am very appreciative that he offered a replacement bird and according to what Q8 just said it may be a better choice.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Do you think a petting zoo would be interested in taking him in? Are there any peacock rescues?

9. new 2 pfowl

new 2 pfowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2012
    California
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
  10. KsKingBee

Genius! I doubt he could ever breed, I surely wouldn't want him to. He would never be aggressive. If someone was willing to pay for having him nutered, (capone), I would give it to them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by