Catching a chicken.... HOW???????

If we have a difficult chicken th catch (usually outside the pen) we use a big fishing net. It's soft. I have also heard of people using butterfly nets.

Yes landing net or a long heavy wire shaped in a narrow U on one end. You hook their foot with it. Needs to be pretty heavy or stiff to work. Otherwise send in 2 young kids and video tape it. Threaten to show it to their future dates unless they behave.

Last edited:
You probably don't want to hear this, but mine come to me.
cool.png

We open a can of corn and they come running to us! They love canned corn even more than watermelon.
lol.png
Also, we make sure to handle and carry all of our girls around on a regular basis (daily when they're younger), so they're used to us and not freaked out by being handled. They don't seem to mind it, especially if they think they're going to get a treat - now they come running as soon as we open the screen door, whether we have treats for them or not.

For the younger ones that are a little more skittish, you place your hand on their back and press down - but don't squash them. They sort of squat down and then you can pick them up, using both hands and being sure to hold their wings against their body so they can't flap and flail. Then I tuck the bird under my arm to carry her around. Of course, you have to corner them first or pick them while they're distracted/eating - which is hard if they're not used to being handled. Our younger birds have gotten so used to being picked up they'll climb on your knee or perch on your arm to beg for treats.

Fishing nets or catching hooks, The finer the mesh the better tho for the nets and they do manage to tangle themselves very well.

Quote:
I can't get away from my chickens! They stand around my feet squawking loudly hoping for food. They are VERY motivated by food. pigs with feathers.

Connie

I use my cats pet carrier. If you put it in a corner then run them to the corner they will go in. I used mine to ferry them back and forth to their tractor so they got used to going in it and my brat leghorns like it better than my touching them.

Back
Top Bottom