Catching pheasant

I agree with @The Phantom , try opening the door on the pen if it's still intact...or you can build a recall trap.
Chasing her too much will only make her more skittish.
Also wait until it's almost dark if you she were she goes to roost, then you can catch them fairly easy at night.

@Silkiechicken66......any luck on retrieving your pheasant?
I have been lucky now more than once. I had a chukar escape during a predator attack that returned in 24 hours and a male pheasant escaped around the same time as yours returned home yesterday after being out for 8 days!!
we attempted to catch him several times when he first escaped and had basically given up hope and had not seen him at all in about 3 days. He was standing outside the aviary yesterday when we went out to feed and we were able to get him back in.

@Silkiechicken66......any luck on retrieving your pheasant?
I have been lucky now more than once. I had a chukar escape during a predator attack that returned in 24 hours and a male pheasant escaped around the same time as yours returned home yesterday after being out for 8 days!!
we attempted to catch him several times when he first escaped and had basically given up hope and had not seen him at all in about 3 days. He was standing outside the aviary yesterday when we went out to feed and we were able to get him back in.
No I Never was. She’s still out there, I hear her and have seen her in my neighbors property but can’t catch. I leave out food still

I have 3 Reeves pheasants get loose about a month ago. I can't believe their still alive. I put feed and water out for them and they have been hanging around the pens. They return every afternoon about dark. The male, actually roosts on top of one of the pens...haven't figured out where the hens go to roost! :idunno everyday they are out, they get a little wilder but I can still get pretty close to them before they run. Kinda neat watching them 'act' like pheasants should act. :D

Last edited:
No I Never was. She’s still out there, I hear her and have seen her in my neighbors property but can’t catch. I leave out food still
is it a possibility to start moving her food closer to the remaining birds? I was not in a position to leave food out and there was no good water source during the time mine was out so i believe that played a part in his return home. It was very difficult during the 3 days we didn’t see him.....but it paid off at his return.

I have 3 Reeves pheasants get loose about a month ago. I can't believe their still alive. I put feed and water out for them and they have been hanging around the pens. They return every afternoon about dark. The male, actually roosts on top of one of the pens...haven't figured out where the hens go to roost! :idunno everyday they are out, they get a little wilder but I can still get pretty close to them before they run. Kinda neat watching them 'act' like pheasants should act. :D
i agree that the hens seem way more elusive!! just before the male returned, one of the hens disappeared.....DH theory was that the male escaped to get away from the nagging girlfriend and once she went to find him, he came back :gig.......I have not seen her nor any evidence of her so the hope is that she too will find her way back to the others. hopefully we can get the room built soon so I can continue plans of reworking aviary to better contain the larger birds! the quail rarely find a point of escape and usually stay in the yard until i retrieve them, but the pheasants.......they seem to look for trouble!!:th

Back
Top Bottom