Catching "wild" chook?! Need advice!

I've been asking around for one because they are expensive! But I think it's the only option. I guess I will build a little a-frame home for her in the meantime ;0
If you have a tractor supply store there they have them with two traps in a set for 40.00 dollars a small and medium one its cheep enough I think . And you never know when you really need them any ways. Always handy for the coons and unwanted critters..

Isn't chook just a cute/slang name for chickens? That's like saying a canine isn't a "doggie"?

I was thinking of getting a trap, I'd have to buy one, I don't think I know anyone with one...

Yes. Use of the term chicken or chook confuses efforts to communicate. Both terms encompass hen (adult), pullet (immature), cock (full adult), cockerel (immature) juvenile and chick. Behavior even as related to your efforts can vary with gender and life stage.

Think of the need for follow up communications if someone started a conversation about a child but did not indicate age. Subject could be aged 0 10 18 years of age depending on audience.

The Tractor Supply version is what I use. They last many years and can be deployed around your coops to catch predators like raccoons and opossums before they get into your chickens.

Last edited:
Check with your animal control officer. Most towns have them available for residents to use to catch problem animals. And what a person decides to call a chicken is inconsequential, as long as the chicken, chook, chickie, biddie, clucker, hoover, feathered tiller is well taken care of.

Check with your animal control officer.  Most towns have them available for residents to use to catch problem animals.  And what a person decides to call a chicken is inconsequential, as long as the chicken, chook, chickie, biddie, clucker, hoover, feathered tiller is well taken care of.

I could pull up examples all day where improper care is correlated with terminology used by caretaker. This holds very well with keepers of backyard flocks.

I could pull up examples all day where improper care is correlated with terminology used by caretaker. This holds very well with keepers of backyard flocks.

Can you correlate proper care with the use of this website? Because I've learned a lot from being here, and never would have called them chooks if it weren't for this site... As long as the important stuff is taken care of we could all be talking in a made up language..

Yes, I think I can. Now look up the term correlate before responding to my statement and use that definition to support your response.

All languages have a significant made up component but ideally the inclusion of new terms or uses progresses in a manner that promotes accurate exchanges.

I can see where the term "chook" [chicken] would need to be clarified if you were asking "What do I feed my chook" because of different feed requirements for gender, age etc.

I can also see where the term "chook" [chicken] would need clarification when dealing with an illness; age, gender etc would definitely aid in the diagnosis and treatment of the chicken.

But, in this case "chook" is harmless:
Original post was:

"So there is a wild chook in the nighborhood"

Switching out chook for pullet, rooster, hen, bantam etc is not really going to change the answers with regards to catching her.

Last edited:
For me it would make a difference as I have learned over time a range of approaches that facilitate capturing wayward / feral chickens. Size would be important with respect to size of trap used. Roosters can be captured using another rooster or even a hen as bait. Chicks and juveniles will take more risk to get food.

Yes, I think I can. Now look up the term correlate before responding to my statement and use that definition to support your response.

All languages have a significant made up component but ideally the inclusion of new terms or uses progresses in a manner that promotes accurate exchanges.

There really isn't anything else to say? I agree with Teila, and also would like to add that my original post included a picture. I can also concede that there might be slightly differing factors depending on if it were a rooster involved, especially since I don't know anything about roosters... I can try to be more specific in the future but I don't see the point in changing it now, and I think any specifics can easily be garnered once the original post is read. ;)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom