Catching "wild" chook?! Need advice!

While it is really not important and I probably should bow out now and go and check on my chooks
wink.png

I did just want to close with ... I stand corrected and while my original suggestion that switching out chook for pullet, rooster etc would not make a difference with regards method of catching in this scenario would be incorrect if it was words only "So there is a wild chook in the neighborhood".

The inclusion of a picture in the original post pretty much rules out a rooster, a chick and a juvenile.

I wish you luck with catching her sphinxface and please let us know how you go.

Last edited:
While it is really not important and I probably should bow out now and go and check on my chooks ;)

I did just want to close with ...  I stand corrected and my original suggestion that switching out chook for pullet, rooster etc would not make a difference with regards method of catching in this scenario [COLOR=333333]"[/COLOR][COLOR=333333]So there is a wild chook in the neighborhood" [words only][/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]T[/COLOR]he included picture in the original post pretty much rules out a rooster, a chick and a juvenile.

I wish you luck with catching her sphinxface and please let us know how you go.

Juvenile not ruled out. My chooks also need tending.

You were clear enough. I am simply impatient which is no fault of anyone. Catch the bird.

I inquired to a sale of someone's wire trap on Craigslist. We had placed a box with food in her area before I realized that was silly, but she hadn't gone into the box to eat the food. I'm worried she won't go into the cage? I've read some people leave the traps unable to activate so the chicken gets used to it. I too am impatient and don't feel like doing that because I'm not sure how necessary it is?

I inquired to a sale of someone's wire trap on Craigslist. We had placed a box with food in her area before I realized that was silly, but she hadn't gone into the box to eat the food. I'm worried she won't go into the cage? I've read some people leave the traps unable to activate so the chicken gets used to it. I too am impatient and don't feel like doing that because I'm not sure how necessary it is?

I use these traps to catch problem raccoons. I generally catch more chickens than coons, however. I realize my chickens aren't going to be as wary as a "wild" bird, but I have no doubt that given a bit of patience and the right bait the bird will be caught.

When we drove by shortly after putting a little pile of our feed, scratch and mealworms she was out there gobbling it up, so a trail into the trap would be easy! ;3

Back
Top Bottom