Wild peahen foot problem

MarahG

In the Brooder
Mar 14, 2024
Our 2 peafowl are wild; I don't know of any way we could catch one. Can't get very close to them but we realized the mother was limping. It looks like she has lost the left toe on the left foot, the middle one is half gone and swelled, and the back one is half gone and the tip is black.
We don't know how this happened. Since they are wild and just wandered in, we pretty much leave them to themselves other than feeding them and putting down straw in the barn where they roost. I also repaired the barn roof for them.
Not being able to touch them or catch them, is anything I can do for her? Will she lose the whole foot? Can she survive? I'm worried but don't know what to do to help. Have tried contacted several local (small town) vets but no response. Any advice will be appreciated.

That is classic frostbite, you do not need to do anything, let nature take its course. The black area will eventually fall off and the foot will be fine after the swelling goes away. The scaled area of the feet and legs has very little blood circulation so healing is slow. If she is limping she will not likely set a nest this year. She may have roosted on a metal pipe or thin pole and the toes that were not covered under feathers froze.

Thanks so much for your reply. We have tried to find out what this was and what to do so many times! Thank you, thank you!

Back
Top Bottom