Catching "wild" chook?! Need advice!

sphinxface

Songster
8 Years
Apr 7, 2015
Renton, Washington
So there is a wild chook in the nighborhood, I was told by one person she has been loose since Christmas! I don't want her getting hurt so, if I can't find the owners, I wanna try to add her to my flock? Does anyone have any tips or suggestions? (We have to catch her first, I've got my eye on her right now)

You don't hear about feral chickens too often! Is that her in the picture? Is she in your yard or somebody else's?

I imagine she will stick around as long as she hears your flock. Throw some food out for her and see if she eats it.

She's several neighborhoods down, she's very Wiley and of course my fiancé has no finesse... She's up a tree now, she's very cute though. I think unless we got an actual trap we might not be able to catch her ;(

(That is a pic of her, small comb and fluff on feet)

If you find where she roosts, you may be able to wait until dark, and use a long pole with a piece of 2 x 4 at the top, fashioned like a T. You could then bring the T up to her chest, and hopefully, she'll step onto it, then you could bring her down, and snag her. Have a pillow case or box handy to put her in. Chickens are pretty helpless at night, and easier to catch then. Beware, she might have mites, lice or a latent infection that could infect your flock.

If you find where she roosts, you may be able to wait until dark, and use a long pole with a piece of 2 x 4 at the top, fashioned like a T.  You could then bring the T up to her chest, and hopefully, she'll step onto it, then you could bring her down, and snag her.  Have a pillow case or box handy to put her in.  Chickens are pretty helpless at night, and easier to catch then.  Beware, she might have mites, lice or a latent infection that could infect your flock.

Thanks! Once she flew and jumped way up into the tree I couldn't see her anymore ;(
I did think about her having some infection, but she did appear rather healthy. I guess she is pretty happy being wild too ;0

Two step process suggested. First to make her less afraid stop calling her a "chook". The term "hen" is more accurate to situation.

Find a live trap like you might use for catching a racoon or opossum, place it where she is none to forage and bait it with intact grains such as corn and BOSS. Arm it in the morning and check in the evening. I catch more chickens in my traps than predators. easily.

yuckyuck.gif

Nice to see that "chook" has no boundaries/borders
wink.png

sphinxface both suggestions definitely have merit .. I was thinking the check out where she roosts option and attempting a 'rescue' under the cover of darkness when she is less likely to run/fly away.

Kudos for you in trying to give her a good home; while she may appear to be content roaming the neighbourhood, her life expectancy is probably reduced and she will probably have more chance of living a long and happy life with you.

As lazy gardener has suggested I would definitely consider quarantining her for a while to ensure she has no diseases or 'pests' to infect your flock and also, a couple of weeks confined in quarantine with lots of yummy food and fresh water will aid in teaching her where home is and that she does not need to wander the neighbourhood.

Please keep us up to date with how you go.

Regards

Two step process suggested. First to make her less afraid stop calling her a "chook". The term "hen" is more accurate to situation.

Find a live trap like you might use for catching a racoon or opossum, place it where she is none to forage and bait it with intact grains such as corn and BOSS. Arm it in the morning and check in the evening. I catch more chickens in my traps than predators. easily.

Isn't chook just a cute/slang name for chickens? That's like saying a canine isn't a "doggie"?

I was thinking of getting a trap, I'd have to buy one, I don't think I know anyone with one...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom