'C'ats 'A're 'T'ruly 'S'pecial

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Gloryjasmine, Aug 25, 2015.

1. chickendreams24

chickendreams24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2015
    Wisconsin, USA
    OK another random fact of the day is that actual orange tabbies can only be male I forget the exact genetics of it but basically if a female appears orange its rare but more than that at a genetic level the color is different I believe it's a dilution of a different color or something I forget exactly. Ugh sometimes I feel old. So many random facts in my brain sometimes they get lost in there lol.

Oh I like Gracie its beautiful strangely the middle name idea I had for you was Anne lol and I love you too Sweetie stay safe
    You and DH and everyone else are in our prayers.
    Now when do we get to see your new additions?

2. GitaBooks

GitaBooks Overrun With Chickens

Jun 23, 2015
    USA
    Its just been my observations about the orange cats being males, but every orange cat we have ever seen except one was a male, including Orange Cat and Mesa.

I agree, your calico is beautiful! (very beautiful!). Our calico is actually a Patched Tabby and White, so she has orange tabby in her coloration but in patches along with grey. Its pretty cool looking.

3. Stephanie R

Stephanie R Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh my gosh, I adore cats. Have had cats all my life. Volunteer at the local cat shelter. Unfortunately, my two beautiful kitties died this summer within six weeks of one another. Both from some form of cancer. I miss them so much every day. Here they are:

[​IMG]

Sam, a Ragdoll - sleeping in my closet

[​IMG]

Emma, part Siamese - lounging in the office

Oh my heart.

4. chickendreams24

Jul 30, 2015
    Wisconsin, USA
    @Stephanie R
    So sorry for your loss. I too lost a kitty this summer to cancer. If you go back a page or two you can see a picture of her. She was 15 and after a long struggle with hyperthyroidism we finally got her levels under control to find out she had a large mass in her abdomen and also probably one on her thyroid as well. We took her home to give her one last week but she failed quickly and three days later we made the toughest decision to end her suffering and muscle spasms. Its amazing in a horrible way how fast she went downhill. I will always miss my baby my Cassie.

5. Stephanie R

Thanks, and sorry for your loss - a beautiful cat. My kitties were both ten years old. Sammy had a mass in his abdomen and we chose to let him die at home since he didn't seem to be in pain. Emma was diagnosed with a mass in her lungs about three weeks after Sam died. I was in shock. We chose no treatment and she lived relatively comfortably for the next 2.5 weeks, but then it became clear that she was suffering, so we had her euthanized. I'm still quite raw about it. My husband wants me to get more cats, but I don't think I can. I don't handle their passing very well ... never have since I was a kid. I cry about lost goldfish in my pond. I love animals and it always devastates me when they go.

6. chickendreams24

Jul 30, 2015
    Wisconsin, USA
    I have always been the same way as far as becoming very attached toy animals. But you might be surprised how another cat or two would help you heal. No only that but you could save lives by taking some in even if you don't think they're ready you may find they open your heart. Can you imagine living out your life without the love of a cat or two in it? I know the answer for me is no. The pain is horrendous but the love is worth so much more. I was hand-raising an orphaned kitten before we lost Cassie and the kitten was two weeks old when we had to put Cassie down(I got the kitten at a day or less old when the mother and litter were hit by a lawnmower.) It was hard to keep going with the kitten through my tears and my mother(who taught me how to care for bottle babies) gave me a day or two off, but inside I knew that kitten needed me. The home that had hit the kitten's family wanted her back but in the end backed out and we kept her. Her name is Luna and she can't replace Cassie in truth she's almost nothing like Cassie. Luna is still q kitten but even by kitten standards she's mischievous. Cassie was sweet and talkative and gentle, but they do have one thing that is very similar Cassie had the strongest purr I've ever heard in a car. She used to sound like a lawnmower she lifted so loud, and before she declined after her diagnosis I allowed her to meet Luna and Luna got to hear her purr. They have a very similar purr. Sometimes it hurts when I hear that purr but its also a comfort that I can hear still a loud purr. Deep down I know that Cassie will always be in my heart and on my mind. I could choose to never have cats again after the five I have now pass on, but I know as I rescued all of them (all five were ferals or semi-feral) that they would want me to help others. That they would want me to show others that love, because without me four of them would certainly have been dead, as I bottle fed them from three weeks, three and a half weeks, and day old.

Please don't misunderstand km not trying to push you into something you dont want but I know for myself that my animals enrich my life a million times a day. I would urge you to go into a shelter and walk out with a feral and a black cat or a cat that has been there for years. Save that life you'll feel great and you might just find that through that cat or cats that God has given you a gift, just like my Luna's purr.

My mother had to put her cat down years ago and unfortunately the vet who was later fired did it all wrong and the cat ended up terrified and screaming before they finally got the needle in. My mother has been scarred and says she will never have a cat of her own again, because she blames herself and thinks Cyndle would her. I of course know it isn't true but my mother hasn't been able to heal one of our cats chose her as her special person but Mom denies the cat because she doesn't think she deserves it.

It's never just a cat. Or a dog. I feel badly for people who think so, but there are so many people who do feel as we do. Open your heart and if you can't open that yet then I hope you'll open your home. I feel you will be surprised when you find that those little feet have crept their way into your heart. They can't take away the pain but they can lessen its sting and your heart's emptiness by filling it with love. They can replace the sad memories of loss with new good memories not all the memories those will stay with you but for me I don't think nearly as often as I used to of the day we had to put Cassie down.
    God bless I hope your heart heals and I hope you find it in yourself to walk into a shelter and save a couple of lives maybe a few. They will be so grateful. And I think you will be too.

7. GitaBooks

GitaBooks Overrun With Chickens

Jun 23, 2015
    USA
    PAY BACK

Nym as a little kitten was bullied by the ferrets, who bit is scruff to show him who was boss. They had no idea how big he would get....
    [​IMG]

... It was pay back time.
    [​IMG]

Don't worry, neither harmed each other, though I can't say either were gentle either (when I was trying to pull them apart it wasn't easy). Both are real bullies. [​IMG]

8. Stephanie R

I have had and lost many cats over my 61 years, and I know that plunging in again after a death will be a fulfilling experience. The last four cats I've lost were my most special cats and they all died prematurely. So I need to take a break. It may be a year, it may be ten, but I have to wait until I'm ready for it. In the meantime I can love on the shelter cats and rejoice in their adoptions. Thank you for your kind words. We animal lovers are a sappy group, yes?

9. chickendreams24

Jul 30, 2015
    Wisconsin, USA
    Yes we are a sappy group but such a wonderful group. Sorry about the rant again and BTW I didn't have you pegged as 61.

10. NCaliChick

NCaliChick Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2015
    Northern California
    Love all these sweet kitty pics. I'm a cat lover - actually, we love pretty much all animals. I'll have to see if I've got some cute pics of my cats to share. Living in the country, we go trough a lot of outside cats, but we still have our favorites!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by