'C'ats 'A're 'T'ruly 'S'pecial

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Gloryjasmine, Aug 25, 2015.

1. GitaBooks

GitaBooks Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jun 23, 2015
    USA
    Yeah, girl cats certainly have attitude, but they are so sweet also. I've noticed that girl cats tend to be more skittish and snippy towards one another, while males are far more laid back (I call them the hippies of the cat world) but when they fight, they are far more serious. All the strays we've ever had were males, we've never had a female stray except one time when we brought her home with us (she didn't come to our yard). We kept one of our own kittens, and she was the sweetest thing in the whole world! That would be Miracle, one of the best cats ever. We also have Genny (Genevieve) who lost her tail from getting hit by a car but other then that is fine. She certainly has 9 lives, and is FULL of attitude.

We are very lucky to have such a pretty cat like Scardy. I think she is called a Patched Tabby and White (or maybe a Torbie).

I can't wait to see pictures of your kittens when they are born!!!!!!

2. Gloryjasmine

Gloryjasmine Chillin' With My Peeps

Awe I truly miss my girl,Abby(Abigail). I will get pics!!! Promise. I would love to have a breed like Scardy. She is very unique to me. Just a doll. [​IMG]

3. chickendreams24

chickendreams24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2015
    Wisconsin, USA
    [​IMG]
    This is my Cassie before we found out that she had cancer. She was the sweetest most good natured cat I have ever known and I miss her terribly.
    [​IMG]
    This is my Phantom. Yes that's scar tissue in his eye. He's my miracle baby. Mom found him out front in some bushes in a downpour when he was maybe three weeks old. He was literally a tiny little skeleton covered in skin and was so ill his mother had abandoned him to protect the rest of the litter(she was part of a feral colony we took care of). After having him a week feeding him at will all through the night he was still less than two tenths of a pound and could lay in the palm of my hand. He fetches like a dog and can be told to "wait your turn" and "thats not yours" to which he lays down and waits or walks away. Although sometimes he tries to wait instead of leave thinking he might get a bit. Lol he also asks for the bathroom sink to be turned on so that he can have a drink but he must ask. Lol he has of course taught Luna this habbit although she hasn't gotten the ask part down its more a demand lol
    [​IMG]
    this is Cissie part one of our twin duo and a major princess she also fetches on occasion and is soft as cashmere. She's huge we raised her and her litter from three and a half weeks after their Mommy's(Phantom's sister) milk dried up and she was horribly underweight despite having free food from us. Though not as small or quite as ill as Phantom they were quite underweight especially Cissie who when picked up(by a gloved hand- remember feral with eye infections meaning they couldn't see the best= Mom got bit right through her finger) I couldn't even feel her in my hand at all. She was the runt and the only girl strangely. Their mother watched as we caught them totally at ease, she knew we would take care of them. I'm sure that's why she brought them to our garage. We had patched up and taken in and rehomed many of the ferals and abandoned cats. Later that year she had another litter that I found but she moved before I could grab them four little ones almost identical to the first litter except hair lengths were swapped and there wasn't a tuxedo. Only two of those kittens made it. We almost lost her that winter she wasn't tame enough to catch yet but we cooked up a turkey for all the ferals and have it to them in increments. We added antibiotics to the drippings and medicated her that way one bowl laced with meds one without. And she got better and she thrived and at any one given day that summer we would have between 7-15 ferals on our back deck and in the yard, and trying to come in the house. Lol anyway sorry I got sidetracked.
    This is Fluff dynamic duo number two and a huge cat not fat though he is a bit chunky but literally huge. I think he'd give a bobcat a run for its money size wise but he's also the biggest softie that ever their was. On occasion he gets a bit carried away when playing with Cissie or Phantom but usually(especially with Phantom) he just plays the victim. Even as a kitten he very seldom ever used his claws. His paws are massive just like the rest of him but he's definitely a pumpkin on toothpicks. Lol though not as silky as Cissie his fur is very soft and thick. He also has a perfect orange heart on one of his white feet, I always tell everyone that Fluff wears his heart on his sleeve. ;)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. GitaBooks

Jun 23, 2015
    USA
    Gorgeous cats!

It is wonderful what you are doing to help the strays around you! They are very lucky to have such a nice place to go. [​IMG]

5. chickendreams24

Jul 30, 2015
    Wisconsin, USA
    Thanks Gita. sadly we had to move away from there but our neighbors who also took care of the cats still live there and continue to do so. I miss them greatly it makes me terribly sad but I'm so glad for the time I had with them. And thank you for the compliment on our beautiful babies of course you've seen Luna I still need to get some good clear pictures of Pepper she's a tortie that was also a feral we took in. No longer feral but very shy(she's my brother's cat and he took her when he got married and moved but sadly she shut down completely and hid. His wife also wasn't real nice to her(love is blind) but I think it started because she became the only cat in a strange place and then his wife bought a dog while he was deployed. Supposedly the puppy and cat played but I believe the puppy just tortured Pepper. Pepper is still skittish but sweet. She will never go back there no worries on that front. I know it hurts my brother because he loves Pepper but his eyes were finally opened. This is what's best for her. And actually its great people always go "ohmigosh you have 5 cats in the house?" And im just like Yeah you have five kids my cats are cleaner and make fewer messes not to mention they don't talk back and don't throw fits. Lol actually our cats are very good. And it's always been a great way for us to raise the bottle babies. Of course they are quarantined for a while and tested for diseases. But after that the adults teach them boundaries and respect and especially Phantom has done amazing with Luna. Cassie was always our tolerant one but now that Cassie is gone Phantom is so patient with Luna and her guerilla tactics lol. She's learning though. About tones of voice and what they mean and where to scratch. When the other kitties have had enough of being tackled and chewed lol and it helps because my sheltie is the same way. Her patience is endless with babies doesn't matter the kind of baby but she truly adores kittens.

6. GitaBooks

Jun 23, 2015
    USA
    Yeah, cats are WAY cleaner then almost any other pet your going to find. However, I have to admit, my baby cat throws tantrums and "talks back to me" all the time in his cat way. he is a complete booger brat and insists you do his bidding whenever he asks. [​IMG] However, the other cats are all sweet, if not shy. And I still love Nym too! He's my baby boy, the only cat I hand-raised.

I thought I'd finish my story above with Tabby's third and final litter. We thought she was very large and brought her inside, but she was in there for like a month! She just kept getting bigger! Why is that? 7 Kittens were on the way.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

The first two were born before I got down there, a black and white kitten named Billy and a spotted tabby we called Spotty (such clever names, I know)
    [​IMG]

And all the others she did pretty well with. The last two were obviously Tiger's kittens, since more than one cat can be the father, and I think the two black and white ones were Pygmy's (her brothers, which caused inbreeding but we couldn't really help that). Millie was the third kitten. The two last ones were Siamese, born white, and they were the largest. Poor Tabby screamed giving birth to them.
    [​IMG]

A happy litter of 7, including Misty, Ebony, Ivory and Sugar
    [​IMG]

Tabby was very thin after giving birth, because of worms I think it was.
    [​IMG]

Billy learning to use the litter box. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Gloryjasmine

My dear! I love your babies!!! So sweet. I wanted to tell you a bit of info on your cat ,Fluff. He's not fat at all! That's just his breed. His stature. My sweet,he is a Maine Coon!!! I have one too. They are the largest breed of domesticated cat in the world! Now some of their traits are : ear tufts(the long,pointy hairs that come out at the tip of the ear),also they're well known for having a lot of long hair in the actual ear,big big ,almond shaped eyes,long whiskers(longer than an average cat-whiskers are also used as little antennas. They can sense changes in the weather. Such as a storm coming. Ever noticed your cat getting all wigged out out of nowhere? Then they'll just all the sudden chill out? Pay attention next time,they're telling you that a storms on its way. When it actually arrives,that's when they'll start to calm down.),ok they have very long,thick fur that jets out of their paws. Also known as tufts. These are called "snow shoes/chutes". Back when they first were brought over to Maine ,by the queen s boat,they were all released into bitter cold weather. You'll have to read up on the history to really understand just how amazing these cats are. Anyway the queen stayed back to face treason charges. But her boat still made it to the U.S. and now there were several of these hard core cats. The snow shoes helped them walk in the snow. Just as the same ones we have do. They'd have to be swift and quick on their feet a lot of times! The big,long and fluffy tail was designed to wrap all the way around their body. In the front part so they'd stay warm on the bitter bitter nights. They'd tuck up in a tight ball protected by that tail. Which also helped them make very swift turns while chasing prey or running away from danger. The tail acts like somewhat of a rutter. They'd point it a certain way and could cut corners like no body's business!!! I've researched the Maine coon breed all my life. As cats are my passion. Especially the Maine coon. They have been around the longest. Some say their ancestors are the bobcat. I would not doubt that. Some say raccoon. Hmmmmm. There're a few different origins that people claim are how they became to be. I guess I believe the one that God put on my heart as truth. But you should do some research! You'd be blown away at just how awesome these cats are. They're also known for being excellent mousers! They had to hunt for food for years. No mouse would make it in this house! And the girls get huge, the boys get double huge!!!! You think Fluff is big??? Wait till you see some of the full blooded Maine coons.

8. Gloryjasmine

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's me and Austin. My 11 year old Brown Mackeral Tabby Maine Coon. He is my son. I've had him since he was three months. I adore him. I thank you Lord for my baby everyday. [​IMG][​IMG]

9. chickendreams24

Jul 30, 2015
    Wisconsin, USA
    Yes I know him and Cissie are both Maine Coons but they are a little chunky too lol not Fluff so much but Cissie hasn't lost her winter weight from last year ;) and I've seen some full blooded main Coons but none that co.pare to Fluff he is seriously huge like 26 lbs or more and not including his tail just a normal walking posture from nose to tail base he is 2.5-3 feet. Not stretched out just walking. I've always loved all animals but I used to do hours of research on Maine Coons and many other kinds of cat and dogs as well as dolphins whales and horses. And now of course chickens too ;)

10. chickendreams24

Jul 30, 2015
    Wisconsin, USA
    Fluff is seriously bigger than my sheltie Molly lol its funny

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by