'C'ats 'A're 'T'ruly 'S'pecial

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Gloryjasmine, Aug 25, 2015.

1. Gloryjasmine

Gloryjasmine Chillin' With My Peeps

Layla's kittens were born today!!! She had them in our shed. Again.... Getting pics will be hard. But I've made plans for the shelter to get her and them. They'll keep them all together until they're weened at 8 weeks. Then spay and vaccinate all of them. And adopt them out. So today when I went into town to get some things before hurricane Jaquine gets here... I found a very young kitten in the cart area!!!! Me being me couldn't leave it there. Wouldn't!!! So with the help of some strangers and employees,we ended up catching her. In the store!! Up in one of those disabled people scooters!!!!! I gosh is she adorable and docile. She's 6-8 weeks. No older. So my friend at the shelter was going to get her too,but now I'm struggling with keeping her!!!!! I've wanted a girl for years!!!!! It's been a while since I've had a female. Ohhh I'm such a suckerrrrrrrr!!!!

Please pray for the east coast. This is gonna hit us hard. Thanks y'all.

2. GitaBooks

GitaBooks Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jun 23, 2015
    USA
    Yay Layla! How many did she have? What colors? I can't wait for photos of the babies!!!!

What color is the new kitten? What do you want to name her? It is so awesome you could help her out, whether you keep her or not. Just make sure she doesn't fight with your cats. Our cats almost never except new kittens into their little clan.

I pray God will keep everyone safe. Right now it is freezing cold and very windy where we live. When the hurricane hits its suppose to get very rainy also. Pretty miserable weather here in Ohio. What's it like where you live?

3. I have two 4 year old cats named Marmalade and Ginger.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This is Ginger my cute little calico.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here's her brother Marmalade, the orange tabby.

[​IMG]

Marmalade and Ginger as kittens.

4. Gloryjasmine

Omgosh they're adorable! I've never seen a calico marked quite like that. Just beautiful! So the kitten I caught at food lion last night is tugging at my heart strings majorly!!! I've named her!!!!!! Oh brother it's all over now....I think she's staying. Now to introduce her to the boys...... It's going to be interesting!!! Lol I'll send pics.

5. Gloryjasmine

Oh her name is Jayla.... Middle name unknown....... Suggestions?

6. chickendreams24

chickendreams24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2015
    Wisconsin, USA
    Glory Sweetie please tell me you haven't introduced her to your boys yet? She should be quarantined just like any other animal as much for her as for them. And tested for FLV and FeLV asap. She may be carrying an ordinary germ that you don't want your boys to get I would try to keep her separate for at least a couple weeks in another room so they can smell her under the door but can't hurt her. That is the best way to do it once you know they're used to her smell start holding the door open a crack so they can see her and slowly progress to letting her out. Don't forget they're big boys and they're not going to understand that you rescued little Jayla do t forget to give them all individual loves. Good luck with the new baby!

And be safe Hunny

7. GitaBooks

GitaBooks Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jun 23, 2015
    USA
    Jayla is perfect! I agree with the information above, make sure she doesn't have any diseases.

Random fact of the day, did you know that calicos and tortoiseshell cats are almost always females? The genes are connected to the gender, so almost any time you see a calico or tortoiseshell its a female. Often orange cats are males, though I think this is because females tend to turn out calico in those litters.

8. Thank you! Oh yes, I've never seen a calico quite like Ginger either. That's my favorite part about calicos, there are so many different patterns they can have.

Awwww! Jayla is a perfect name for her.

9. I actually did know that almost always calicos and tortoiseshell are females. Did you know that the rare percentage of them that are male are almost always sterile?

I didn't know that about the orange tabbies often being males. That makes tons of sense though, Marmalade and Ginger were born in a litter of four, two calicos (one of them being Ginger of course), one orange tabby boy (Marmalade), and one gray tabby boy.

10. Gloryjasmine

Hey y'all! Ok so correction on her name. My husband wanted to help name her. So we changed it to Gracie Anne. And yes honey I agree! I've rescued so many cats! Actually all of my cats have been rescues. So she is separate. The introduction phase is not pretty but once they adapt,it's wonderful. She's been bathes and ears cleaned. Unfortunately,I can't worm,de flea or de ear mite(although she looks great ) until 12 weeks. Her ears are actually fantastic but she did have a few fleas. Not much. And her poo is clean! Although I'm a firm believer in all of those treatments plus vaccines. And she'll be spayed when she's old enough.
    Now about the calicoes,that is why male calico cats are worth so much money! Because they're highly rare. She is what we call a Mexican calico. She's dark...black but with the calico colors. I had a female exactly like her many years ago.
    So far we are just being bombarded with rain. The hurricane has shifted. Doesn't look like it will make landfall. However,we have the first system here now. And it's bringing 8-12 inches to my area. That's not including what rain/wind the hurricane is going to bring. Starting tomorrow. Our animals are safe. Well stocked. Dry. My husband is actually helping FEMA. He hauled a generator to an area in SC where he's on call for Walmart. He's being paid very well but he's right smack dab in the center of the storm!!!! Well we are too where we live. We also have three creeks that always flood up out of the banks even with less rain than were expecting!!! So I appreciate y'all's prayers!!! Pray for the entire Eastern seaboard!
    Ps... I just love you chickendreams24. Your concern for me n my babies warms my heart. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by