Cats the movie

Ninjasquirrel

Free Ranging
5 Years
May 11, 2018
Northwest Indiana
Ok lets just talk about how much we hate this thing.

I'm going to be completely honest with you. I have not seen the musical. The only song I knew was "Memory" and I knew going in that the movie was hated.

About a quarter of the way through I was slightly confused but not yet understanding why the hatred....

...then I heard "memory". Are you kidding me?! I think I died a little inside. My SO was like "oh come on...it wasnt that bad..." But then I played him the broadway version of it and he said "I'm kinda getting emotional...and this song is much longer" yup. Ruined it. The best song and the only song I knew out of the entire thing and you butchered it. I almost wonder if at some poin the director just gave up. By the way this is how memory should sound:
I'm not even finished watching it!

Ok lets just talk about how much we hate this thing.

I'm going to be completely honest with you. I have not seen the musical. The only song I knew was "Memory" and I knew going in that the movie was hated.

About a quarter of the way through I was slightly confused but not yet understanding why the hatred....

...then I heard "memory". Are you kidding me?! I think I died a little inside. My SO was like "oh come on...it wasnt that bad..." But then I played him the broadway version of it and he said "I'm kinda getting emotional...and this song is much longer" yup. Ruined it. The best song and the only song I knew out of the entire thing and you butchered it. I almost wonder if at some poin the director just gave up. By the way this is how memory should sound:
I'm not even finished watching it!
Ok, unpopular opinion I know, but I liked the movie. I liked the play better, and the version of Memory that you copied was way better too. The physicality and dancing in the play was phenomenal. So, yes, definitely the play for the win! However, having memorized the play I found the differences kind of daring, zany, surreal, and delightful... plus I love Idris Elba! That’s said, I know that most people truly despised it and won’t argue the point! I went with our two teen kids and one walked out while the other said she couldn’t pull her eyes away from the train wreck... :gig

Ok, unpopular opinion I know, but I liked the movie. I liked the play better, and the version of Memory that you copied was way better too. The physicality and dancing in the play was phenomenal. So, yes, definitely the play for the win! However, having memorized the play I found the differences kind of daring, zany, surreal, and delightful... plus I love Idris Elba! That’s said, I know that most people truly despised it and won’t argue the point! I went with our two teen kids and one walked out while the other said she couldn’t pull her eyes away from the train wreck... :gig
I pulled through to the end but I can honestly say the only song that stuck with me was the curious cat song. I'm not even sure if I know his name right because they didnt enunciate at all. Is his name really Rum Tum Tugger?

Nooo...this was supposed to be my safe space away from all the terrors of the world and that fever dream hellscape.

BTW
Omg. For some reason...it just looks right in all the wrong ways. :lau
I'd like to see them retry this movie but do it right. Use animated characters and Broadway players. But because of this disaster I seriously doubt anyone will try.

To those that have seen the play...is it supposed to be an opera? There was little to no lines in this film. I really had a hard time following the plot. I'm not sure why all the other Jelicals hated that one cat that Victoria helped. I'm not sure why cats have 3 names...heck I dont remember most of the cat names. It was like reading that one section of the bible: and so and so begat so and so who begat so and so who begat so and so and now its the future. Where did I go just now?

To those that have seen the play...is it supposed to be an opera? There was little to no lines in this film. I really had a hard time following the plot. I'm not sure why all the other Jelicals hated that one cat that Victoria helped. I'm not sure why cats have 3 names...heck I dont remember most of the cat names. It was like reading that one section of the bible: and so and so begat so and so who begat so and so who begat so and so and now its the future. Where did I go just now?
The original broadway musical was based on a book of poems about cats! Old Possums Book of Practical Cats! Apparently, the poets widow sold the rights with the requirement that no lines be added, so the musics is only dance, singing, and poetry. As a book of poems, it didn’t really have a plot, it was just a portrait of kitties doing kitty things. Very hard to develop kind of plot from tjat!
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Possum's_Book_of_Practical_Cats

watch some or all of the musical! Like I said, I have a hard time defending the movie... :gig

The original broadway musical was based on a book of poems about cats! Old Possums Book of Practical Cats! Apparently, the poets widow sold the rights with the requirement that no lines be added, so the musics is only dance, singing, and poetry. As a book of poems, it didn’t really have a plot, it was just a portrait of kitties doing kitty things. Very hard to develop kind of plot from tjat!
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Possum's_Book_of_Practical_Cats

watch some or all of the musical! Like I said, I have a hard time defending the movie... :gig

Having just watched that I think I've identified why the movie was so bad visually...too lifelike. That little bit just made me think "oh people singing dressed up in cat costumes" whereas the movie made me think "people are cats"

Edit: I should also note the enunciation. You can make out every word. This was the issue I had with the les mis movie. I took choir for 6 years and we had to enunciate. My teacher said "you might as well not be singing words if you do not enunciate because no one can understand you".

Back
Top Bottom