Caught a mink in a live trap....

herman331

Hatching
Jun 21, 2020
Southeastern Kentucky
It killed 2 of our hens yesterday and a bunch of baby chicks.. So thinking quickly we got our live trap and put one of the "fresh kills" in it and kind of hid it where the mink got a hold of it.. Of course it came back around 4 this morning (bold AF, we were outside waiting on it) and went right into the trap. This is our first mink out of the 3+years we've had chickens and we are just wondering if we should keep the live trap out just in case there's more.? I've read they are usually by themselves, but just wondering about others' experiences? Thanks!

In our case, the husband disposed of the little critter.... and we tripled the security on our coop/run. Just because we didnt see one, doesnt mean another wont come back one day. Take your precautions! But, you usually dont have to worry about a pack of them.

In our case, the husband disposed of the little critter.... and we tripled the security on our coop/run. Just because we didnt see one, doesnt mean another wont come back one day. Take your precautions! But, you usually dont have to worry about a pack of them.
Thanks! I’ve been onto my boyfriend about improving security for a while now, hope he’s finally seeing things my way!! :fl

Having a mink kill three of the four hens in one of my coops certainly convinced me to improve security. It actually came back that same night, and I was waiting with a three-tined cultivator in hand, which missed its mark but not for lack of trying. It took one of my drakes the next day. Mink may be the only animal in the world that I truly despise. Research at the time made think that each individual mink has its own exclusive territory. Sorry about your loss and hope for better days ahead.

Well thank you, that gives me hope! I'm usually not one for hurting an animal, but was so happy to catch that sucker! But still cautious and worried sick there may be more! All my chickens are my babies😭
To my knowledge we haven’t had a mink get into the coop, but a few years ago within a week of each other two were killed on the road in front of our house. I figure they were coming to try and get in. I don’t know if either of them had tried before that or not. I would set the trap again for a little while just to make sure and be vigilant about the shoring up the coop if there appear to be places one might get in.

Back
Top Bottom