Caught a skunk in a live trap!?!?!?! HELP!

Oh my!
sickbyc.gif

Thanks for posting this though. I was going to set my trap tonight. I think before I do, I'm going to tie a long rope to it first.

I don't know where you live but here our laws for trapping live animals are pretty clear.
If you trap a wild animal you are not allowed to shoot it due to the fact if it has rabies, there are certain ways the animal has to be disposed of.
You can't transport it for the same reason. You will be re-locating a rabid animal to some other location.
Our animal control officer says to call the animal shelter and let them know you have trapped a wild animal and they will put it down and disposed of it. But MAKE SURE YOU CALL THEM FIRST AND TELL THEM YOU ARE COMING.

We have trapped 10 racoons in the last 2 months. With a skunk that is a lot different. I would put a large contractor size garbage bag over it, put it in the back of the truck, and take it to the shelter and say "Have fun, I will be praying for you!"
roll.png

I think they have to take it regarless of whether or not it is STINKIES!!!

Can you take a big tarp and one person on each side (so hopefully you are from a distance) pull it over the cage then the tarp will get sprayed and not you?

Not sure any other way as someone as to get close to the cage to open it...

As far as removing the smell, my Dane spooked a skunk last winter and got sprayed - I found this advice to be better than tomato juice although it did lighten some of the black hair on my Mantel Dane, but he is not a show dog so it didn't matter! You can hopefully apply this to you or whatever else got or gets sprayed!

Whatever you do, don't bring a freshly skunked pooch into the house! The dog will rub on things and tranfer the smell, then the whole house will smell like a skunk. If you must bring him in, wrap him in something washable until you get to the bathtub.

Skunk Smell Remover 1 quart 3% Hydrogen Peroxide
1/4 cup Baking Soda
2 tbsp Dish Detergent. The stuff for washing dishes in the sink, not something for dishwashers.
Mix the ingredients in a large bowl, because it will boil up like Vesuvius. We are, after all, making an oxygen generator. Wash the dog with this while it is still foaming, because it is the oxygen which reacts with the thiols in the skunk stink to neutralize the odor. If it sits around, it will loose it's efficacy because the oxygen boils off. Don't try to store it in an airtight container, because it will blow up. The brew also works for clothes, humans and unlucky cats.

Sometimes being chased by a dog is not enough to scare a polecat off the property, in which case, mothballs will do the trick.

Good Luck, I have been there!

Oh, I did trap a baby possum one time. It was sooo cute I had to let it go. I actually trapped it two nights in a row. He wouldn't learn his lesson. I put a COONS ONLY sign on the front of the cage and it seems to be working. Maybe you could put NO SKUNKS ALLOWED!
lau.gif

Once, we had a baby possum in our garage. My son was just little, and he came running into the house and yelled, "MOM! There's a raccoon in our garage, and it has a pointy nose!"

I thought that was hysterical!
gig.gif

I found a skunk remedy I had written down after our dog got sprayed by a skunk a couple of ears ago. Mix a bottle of peroxide, 3 ounces baking soda, and 1-2 ounces of liquid detergent--shampoo or bathe and rinse off with water.

They also sell a shampoo made for animals that is specially made for getting skunk spray off. It is sold in most all pet stores and I always seen it at my local grocery store. It has an enzyme in it made to break the "smell factor" up. It worked wonders when I bought it for my friend who had the worst luck ever when he got sprayed through his car window while driving. And when I worked at a pet shop, the groomers always got the job of "deskunking" people's dogs, and said nothing worked better than the special shampoos.

Good luck! I'm going to tie a very long rope to my traps right now!

I caught a skunk last summer and managed to release it without getting sprayed... I held a large sheet up as I approached the trap so I was completely hidden behind it. When i got close I covered the trap with the sheet and was able to open the door of my have-a-heart and let Mr. Skunk out. I didn't wait around after i opened the door... in fact neither did he. We ran in opposite directions!

Back
Top Bottom