Caught in a lie, chicken emergency!!!!!

Things Yet to Be

In the Brooder
Nov 7, 2023
A year ago, I got three hens and an aggressive rooster from a friend who thinks a lot of me and was really fond of all of the birds and took good care of them. The cock grew tame and we were all impressed and happy with him.

Well, recently the cock got sick and died of something and I told my friend what had happened. Well, now one of the hens got sick and died of something else but I didn't tell her that the hen died too.

Here's the problem: my friend had visited today and asked about the birds and how the girls were doing. I told her they were all doing good. Well, we made arrangements for her to pick up something at my house tomorrow and she will probably want to peek at the girls. The last two. Of four she gave me.

How do I tell her the hen died and why I did intentionally lied to her!?

I agree with ☝️Lies only lead to more lies, but what is done is done and now would be the time to ask for forgiveness and explain that you were afraid of telling the truth about your flock, maybe you were scared or embarrassed or whatever the reason. Just tell them how you have treated the flock and that things do happen, don't be ashamed unless there is reason on your part to be that way, our flock members do die and we never know why.

Mercy and forgiveness are a rare commodity these days but hopefully your friend will understand.

Lies are never a good idea.

Find the courage to look her in the eye and say you're sorry, you lied to her, the hen died and you don't know why. You were worried about telling her, so you lied about it.

She may understand.

Don't tell lies in future
Thank you for the excellent advice and timing.
I didn't mean to lie, it just happened, and I was so worry that it would look bad, but I did try to get to a vet both times. I guess there isn't much to do but tell the truth.

I'd be concerned about a disease going through your flock. If not for the sake of not telling lies, then for the safety of her birds. If she comes in contact with your birds, she might spread it to hers

Back
Top Bottom