Caught in the Act

The first day when so many were killed...I think she was scare off before she could escape with a chicken. The tree-trimming folks delivered a load of mulch that day (didn't even hear them drive in the backyard), and where she entered the yard was very close to where they drove the truck in. Somehow she managed to get the gate open on th eother side of the house, which is where I found a partially eaten bird, and two more not eaten.

Somehow I don't think she was alone that first day, when seven were killed.

Since she's been gone, I've lost two more. One before I reinforced the fence and installed a stronger gate, and one yesterday. It's possible that this dog is actually jumping over the fence.

The woman hoarder told the animal control people that her dog wasn't the only one killing chickens, that the pit bull next door was also a chicken killer. The deputy told the owner to keep his dog locked up or he'd lose him. So it's possible he's the one jumping the fence, or perhaps one of the pack of dog down the road (owner-dumped, and about 14 of them).

I've had chickens for over a year and never lost any to outside dogs (a couple to dogs I had, and no longer have), but none from outside sources.

Discouraging to say the least.

Thank you all for your encouragement...this is a good group.

Very sad story, all the way around. at least your photo helped clean out the hoarder's tragic mess.

Kentucky is one of those states you can shoot (non raptor) predators in the act of predation. Some sheep farmers post signs on their boundary warning dogs will be shot on sight. We had a classic culture clash in our Cub Scout Pack. Parent A is rural and keeps game chickens and horses. Parent B is big city gal from Va. Beach, with a German Shepard and no fence. Parent A catches sheperd dog killing 2 roosters he had receipts for, shoots dog, takes pics and calls Parent B to come get dog. City lady calls sheriff and insists on prosecution for shooting her dog. Judge throws her case out, fines her court costs plus $200 restitution for birds.

Rough times in our pack that year!!

Sorry for the members of the pack that suffered because of the one parent's negligence. Too bad.

That's awful both for your chickens and that dog all because of a woman who didn't feed and take care of her animals. I don't get animal hoarding, the people who do it say that they were afraid the animals would get put down or starve if they don't take them in. Then, they're the ones neglecting the animals.

Quote:
Totally agreed! I am sorry you had to go through this...Good job on the person taking the pic. for you and following the dog, and for you calling the authorities right away.

I am new to the forum, but I posted because just this morning I had an awful attack on my chickens. I have eleven chickens six of which I raised as chicks and the other five I bought fully grown. So this morning my kids could hear the chickens having a fit and they said they had seen a black dog go out by the coop. I was just getting dressed for the morning and as soon as I got out there here was this black dog sitting in the coop and eleven dead chickens all around him. I was sick. So I called our city police officer to come and document the problem and he is currently trying to locate the owner. I was just wondering how to go about asking for a decent amount of reimbursment. I want to be honest, but I need something so that I can replace my chickens. Any advice?

Quote:
First off welcome to the forum madsen.

Sorry about your birds.

You need to find out the cost of replacement birds of the same age and type as was destroyed by the dog.

That is your starting point, the rest depends upon the laws where you are.

Back
Top Bottom